Noise when driving at highway speed. Sounds like loose panel on front end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowboarder1740

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When driving down the highway at about 60+ there is a noticeable noise that sounds like one of the plastic pieces on the front end is a little loose and just flaps in the wind. It’s annoying. I have examined the front end and everything seems relatively secure. The dealer is unable to do anything about it because someone backed in to me a few months ago and drove off. One of the pieces on the front end cracked and they try to tell me the noise is from that. It’s not because it happened long before that happening.

Any ideas or anyone else with this issue?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything loose under the hood like insulation or your air filter box? Where exactly is the noise? Does it change with speed? Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Can you have someone drive next to you on the highway to see if anything looks loose? Just throwing darts here.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving down the highway at about 60+ there is a noticeable noise that sounds like one of the plastic pieces on the front end is a little loose and just flaps in the wind. It’s annoying. I have examined the front end and everything seems relatively secure. The dealer is unable to do anything about it because someone backed in to me a few months ago and drove off. One of the pieces on the front end cracked and they try to tell me the noise is from that. It’s not because it happened long before that happening.

Any ideas or anyone else with this issue?
In front of the radiator, there may be pieces kinda like tar paper that seal off the front end and direct air into the radiator. If these get torn or loose, they can definitely flop around if you have them. The later generations also have shutters like big rigs that open and close to control air flow into the grill area for heating and cooling.

OP
OP
S

Snowboarder1740

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like it comes from the lower front on the driver side. I have the Z71 so I don’t think it has the active shutters. Just the place where it would be. Maybe I’m wrong.
I’m going to ask them to look at it again when I go in for the 5 recalls on it. My back glass also rattles, the tailgate doesn’t open all the way sometimes, and half the time the turn signals don’t make the click noise. So they will be busy.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it comes from the lower front on the driver side. I have the Z71 so I don’t think it has the active shutters. Just the place where it would be. Maybe I’m wrong.
I’m going to ask them to look at it again when I go in for the 5 recalls on it. My back glass also rattles, the tailgate doesn’t open all the way sometimes, and half the time the turn signals don’t make the click noise. So they will be busy.

It was an issue on the previous gen, but could you possibly have a loose trim panel on the door?

Video of what I'm referring to, in case you're not familiar:

jaycough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have wind noise on pass side when driving over 30. I had the problem with previous generation. I checked pillar covers and they are loose. I am going to tape them to prevent air from getting under them to see it it eliminates the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts