No rear air at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karen Clark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A huge THANKS to Garry,
I have a 2006 Suburban and my rear blower stopped working. I also replaced the resistor ($70 later) and still no back blower. The weird thing was that when I checked the plug to the motor I had 12-13 volts. So I checked the connector and the orange wire is burnt but the blower came on when I moved it. I know that my 4 teenage girls will really thank you.

WildernessJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to these parts and I saw this thread with no resolution. Here's how I resolved the no rear air problem in my 2006 GMC Yukon Denali.

I had the same symptoms:
No rear air blowing
Rear air controls just show "OFF" when you try to power them on.
Front overhead fan control does nothing

I'll answer them one at a time.
Rear air contol shows off:
This is actually working as designed. The rear air controls are only active when the front fan selector is set to "AUX". If you have it set to auto it mimics the front temperature. If you set it manually, then it simply runs at the speed you set. Having never used the rear air myself, that confused me. Set it to AUX and it will turn on and you can set fan and temperature.

No rear air blowing:
I purchased a resistor for my rear air but was disappointed when the $102 part did not fix the problem. One day while sitting in McD drive-thru, I pressed my leg down in the floor next to the driver floor panel. (my wallet is in my left rear pocket) Suddenly the fan started blowing! I removed my foot and it stopped again.

I took the floor panel apart (below the dash on the left, under the dash, to the left of the emergency brake) There is a large connector with a bunch (maybe 10? I didn't count) small wires and one LARGE ORANGE wire. The plastic around the orange wire was discolored dark brown like it had gotten hot. I opened the connector, (you squeeze one end and flip the blue handle up to separate the parts) I slightly bent the male connector down (toward the other connectors) to ensure a tight fit. I reconnected the connector and tested.

No more disconnection when wiggling it! The rear air works fine. If this turns out to be a temporary fix, I'll cut the orange wire and crimp on a more solid connector.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

-Garry

I had exactly the same issue. Has anyone reported it to NTSB? Seems like a fire was only a few degrees away.

sriddle68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another solution

I picked up a '03 Yukon with 194K miles on it and the back blower did not work. I tried all the suggestions above (not the resistor though) and had no luck. For grins I took the cover off the fuse panel on the left side of the dash. You open up the drivers door and on the end is a plastic panel. I removed and checked all the fuses in the row that said HVAC. They all looked good. I also pulled the big connector with all wires in it. It is the only connector that plugs into the face of the fuse panel. The plug had the bigger orange wire that all the threads talk about. Mine didnt look burnt or anything though. I plugged it all back in and tried the blower and it works. It must have just been a bad connection with a fuse or the big wire connector.
I just thought I would pass this "other" solution on to others in case it might solve their problems also.

Scott

Brian_G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys, before buying a/c resistors or blowers for d rear/front a/c problems n you know that one is working just swap d part, it's called process of elimination. The rear blower try it in d front especially if you know that front is working, same for d resistor their the same part number. Don't throw your money away.

Shawn Doran

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Suburban where the rear blower doesn't work. The orange wire looks to be in good condition, and I unplugged and plugged the harness, but no blower. What would be the next thing to look for?

Thanks

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Suburban where the rear blower doesn't work. The orange wire looks to be in good condition, and I unplugged and plugged the harness, but no blower. What would be the next thing to look for?

Thanks
I'd test the motor. Connect it to 12v. Then make sure you have voltage at the motor plug when heat/ ac is on.

WildernessJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear climate control blower motor went inop as well; I had previously found the burned plug and bypassed it with a quick disconnect. Couldn't figure it out, dug into the rear compartment again. Finally came back and read this thread. My quick disconnect had come undone. Morale of the story: Always check the orange wire on the rear AC blower motor not working FIRST!!

fejj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad I found this post!
I made the mistake in replacing the module in the rear which didn't work.
Then I found this forum.
Orange wire was the culprit! Mine is burnt or had been arching.
You can see the outside showing the light brown burn mark and on the 2nd image the connectors.
I did not replace but just squeezed back tight and working fine (for now).
Is this risky?
Arch 1.jpg Arch 2.jpg

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like too much current going through the connection. or bad connectors? weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs