No power at acceleration in 1st gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nightflyer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i've an 96 tahoe (350 vortec with a 4L60E tranny).

Since one week i have no power at acceleration in (D)... The car only Starts to move at 1500rpm. The other gears working fine, but no OD. When i shift manually from 1-2-3 everything works fine.

I have no trouble Codes but i know that i need a new timing chain (ist's stretched, sometimes misfirering) checked the play at the distributor.

I nötiger that my car is vibrating
(Shaking) when i shift from Park in D or R. But i think it could be from the misfire?!?

But it's strange that i have no trouble Codes. Wich Software is the Best (computer and usb-obd connector)? I'm actually using scanxl-pro.

I hope somebody can help me what's going on with my chevy :(

Sorry for my Bad english... ;)

Best regards from germany

Matthias

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Offhand I'd say that is the torque converter. But you should get a proper bi-directional scan tool to accurately tell you what the problem is. The Tech-2 and the shop manual go hand in hand. You can get shop manual by subscription through AllDataDIY probably and pick up a Tech-2 from China.

The vibration could also be from the clutch in the torque converter.

OP
OP
Nightflyer

Nightflyer

Reaction score
Offhand I'd say that is the torque converter. But you should get a proper bi-directional scan tool to accurately tell you what the problem is. The Tech-2 and the shop manual go hand in hand. You can get shop manual by subscription through AllDataDIY probably and pick up a Tech-2 from China.

The vibration could also be from the clutch in the torque converter.

There's a clutch inside the torque converter?

I think i need an extra Tool for the tech2 Analysis...? A stand alone pc Software is my favorite.

Okay... I've asked Google: so is it right that i'm maybe in the limp Mode? Could that really a sign of a bad torque converter without any trouble codes?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a clutch inside the torque converter?

I think i need an extra Tool for the tech2 Analysis...? A stand alone pc Software is my favorite.

Okay... I've asked Google: so is it right that i'm maybe in the limp Mode? Could that really a sign of a bad torque converter without any trouble codes?

Torque-Converter-callouts.jpg

The Tech-2 may come with TIS-2000 software which works on older computers, mainly Windows XP but I've somehow got it to work on Windows 7. I can record data from the Tech-2 and view it easier on the laptop with the TIS2000 software as you mentioned.

Not sure if you could enter limp mode without codes being thrown.

OP
OP
Nightflyer

Nightflyer

Reaction score
Yeah that is way off time. Should be between -2 and +2
I think a new timing chain is the Best Option. I've checked the timing chain (tuning the crankshaft by Hand in one direction to tdc 1st cylinder and looking at the Rotor in the distributor and then turned it back in the other direction "counter clockwise" ... 12 degree off :(...i think the chain is stretched). The timing chain is the First one with 200.000mls ;) but how could it be that my chevy is sometimes running horrible and sometimes very good when i'm starting it a few times later? And there's no difference if the chevy is warmed up or not? And how can i get out of the limp mode... Without any codes?