no oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find a pull out from a scrap yard for about $6,000. If you have the ability, pull what you have and open it up and see what happened. YOu might get by with a short block only.

NardDog

Reaction score
hey guys. i have a 2017 gmc yukon xl with a 6.2 L with 80k on it. the wife drives it so miles are usually pretty gentle. had the oil changed recently and drove for 19 miles (40 psi on oil gauge) and no oil pressure warning lights all go off. i shut the engine down, checked the oil level (barely on dipstick) with smoke coming from the dipstick tube. let it sit, went and got oil and added 4-5 quarts just to see if it would make pressure- none-zero oil pressure. shut it down and towed it home. had the filter changed, changed the oil again (no metal) and still zero pressure. its also now making a small knocking noise where it was not before the loss of pressure. garage checked pressure with mech gauge, still zero. now they want to change the engine!! my question is, is this complete engine swap necessary or are they just being overly cautious? can i just change the oil pump? i know its a big process, but what are your thoughts of longevity of the engine? how difficult is this oil pump to change? i have seen a ton of videos and have the tools and experience working on engines, but dont want to spend $12k on a used motor swap!! please help!!!
So there are multiple ways these engines can loose oil pressure (at least on the 5.3) the easiest fix is the O ring, but also whats sometimes called a dogbone could be faulty and finally the oil pump itself has a gasket. It doesn’t seem likely that the latter two would fail, so hopefully it is the O ring as this is the easiest fix. You definitely have a desirable engine that’s worth fixing.

OP
OP
C

Chrisf7117

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE!!
Pulled it all apart and found the oil pump (Gen V engine) broke, not quite exploded but the main pump “gear” was in 5 parts along with the veins being destroyed. Absolutely no metal in the pan, all cylinders and can look great (looking from below)! Not sure what would cause this other than “ mechanical failure” but going to try to change it out and put it back together!

Attachments

• AA0EB69C-FF32-49D8-A057-E29B41C9A8D5.jpeg
    AA0EB69C-FF32-49D8-A057-E29B41C9A8D5.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 11

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a new one you might talk to service at GM to see if they have seen that before. I wonder if oil change place ran that engine without oil for a while, then put oil in crankcase after they realized they forgot.Is there galling marks on outside of broken parts crazy.

Last edited:

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!!
Pulled it all apart and found the oil pump (Gen V engine) broke, not quite exploded but the main pump “gear” was in 5 parts along with the veins being destroyed. Absolutely no metal in the pan, all cylinders and can look great (looking from below)! Not sure what would cause this other than “ mechanical failure” but going to try to change it out and put it back together!
They have been having issues with the Oil pumps on the 6.2 engines. Numerous ZL 1 in camaros have had the exact same thing happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt