No oil pressure at start up, 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shit dude... If you're pushing 300k and the most you've had to do is drop the oil pan, you're in good shape!!!!
With 4 wheel drive the front Differential is in the way of everything and makes the job much more time consuming than a rear wheel drive truck. I spent most my time cleaning the oil pan which was a mess inside and out. The Crossmember is located halfway under the oil filter so that had to be cleaned as well. I was surprised to see that the Timing Chain is just a tiny little single roller chain. I had every tool needed plus floor jacks and still had a tough time getting the truck back together but it was all worth it as now I have my oil pressure back the way it use to be.

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
It's pretty rare that you'd have an oil pump go bad during normal use. Typically you only see that if it sucked up some shit in the pan, in which case, you're already in some serious trouble

I don't find dropping out the front diff particularly difficult. I do, however, find balancing it on a jack to be. That being said I'm not in the rust belt (kinda). They're pretty easy on the winter salt here and I'm religious about cleaning the stuff off and touching up any coated bits on the undercarriage annually. Don't have any rust yet *knock on wood*

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was literally cracked and very flat on the outside as well as the inside, someone asked if I went with a High Pressure pump, I did not, only Hi Volume. 60# is pretty sweet with an engine with 220k on it now !! The hard part was the Harmonic Balancer, luckily I found a Chryster 3 jaw and got it off, putting it back on was another matter, eventually welded a big socket on a air chisel and a few bumbs of the trigger she walked right on like it was greased! Whole job took me 9 hours, included a new Water Pump/Thermostat, Idlers, belts and 2 tensioners.
You did that job in record time. I spent several hours just cleaning the inside of the oil pan and the bottom of the engine. Plus all the pan bolts and the crossmember.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m replacing mine as we speak. I had my pan and pickup tube cleaned at a local machine shop. I got them both back today and impressed is an understatement, they look brand new! When I took the pickup tube out they had silicone around the ring and bolt that that connects to the oil pump. I couldn’t believe it and it made it almost impossible to remove the bolt!

4696B232-3B78-4778-A667-45FDC3FB05E8.jpeg 9B29D06B-2311-4AE1-8493-5B5E0AECFAB3.jpeg 3F9F516F-03DE-4E79-8007-3FB5803E1023.jpeg

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would've just bought another pickup tube. Just in case there was any gunk stuck in it.
It cleaned up pretty good, I think it will be ok. My only guess as to what they would have put the silicone on it for would be to hold that ring in place after putting the new oil pump in? That’s the only thing I can possibly think of.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It cleaned up pretty good, I think it will be ok. My only guess as to what they would have put the silicone on it for would be to hold that ring in place after putting the new oil pump in? That’s the only thing I can possibly think of.
Hopefully you're good to go now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC