No oil pressure at start up, 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I bet shops just green clean the engine bay and replace the o-ring then charge you $3k for a rebuild....LOL

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot. My lq4 has less than 40psi oil pressure at idle. Now I want to do this.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 271K on my 02 tahoe 4x4, still drives like a champ. Little issues here and there, but nothing worth complaining about. It's had a water pump about 60K ago, new hubs recently, some various suspension parts, but really nothing serious. there's a few leaks, but I still burn less than a quart of oil per change cycle. It has been driven nearly all highway, and very cautiously for most of it's life which I'm sure has helped.

rook

Reaction score
I'm going to say a prayer, sleep well, and hope that I find a similar issue. Just bought this, and dang it I never saw that at idle it'll drop down to zero. Goes right back up when I get going, but now I have a new rig and A LOT worried to drive it. 2007 Denali, so I'm hoping 4x4 won't be an impossible task...

Would appreciate any help... Thanks folks-

rook

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting myself psyched up... Any confidence builders for dropping the oil pan on my AWD Denali? I'm thinking I can get it down and do this - there is also a little plate up at the front of the pan that might give me a little window to the pump? Anyone know?

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
denali xl 6.0
330,000klm / 205,000miles.

rook, not sure which part of that thread is your issue.

i had sudden no oil pressure and i took steps in the op post #1.

i had about 200klm on a gold FRAM high mileage filter, and some really cheap oil. up until this point, i had been running quaker state DEFY it is a high mileage oil with zinc and other additives. I do NOT know if there are rubber swelling agents in this oil but here is my theory on my situation. my oil pressure is back to normal now, it idles at 45-50psi. it takes about 2.5 seconds to "build" up to 45-50 psi. it clearly has "bursts" of pressure build meaning the needle is not steadily building. i would suspect the stepper motor on the dash cluster (known issue for this gen of chev) BUT i regained my pressure when i put a new pressure sensor on, dumped my cheap oil and went to the qs defy again, and dumped my fram filter and went to wix.

but there is still the strange pressure buildup behavior.

i suspect it is the oring as was the case in the op post. there must be something in the qs defy that helps seal the oring.

to be honest, it may have always been like this.

i will drop the pan, clean pickup screen, and replace the oring as soon as the 85corvette project is out of my garage in a few weeks.

rook

Reaction score
My problem was the o ring. It was hardened and in no less than 5 pieces bleeding oil. All fixed, good as new. It's weird how it threw the stabilitrack warning, but that is working too (we just got snow last week)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157