No locking gas door or cap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, when was the last time you tried to siphon some gas out of one of these suv's, give a it a try and tell me how it goes.

If you are asking me, I have not in decades. When I did, it was in an effort to drain a tank prior to removal. Still that misses the point, as I am not a penniless punk, but there are plenty around who would be tempted to steal $90 worth of gas. Heck a friend of mine had his convertible top cut and ruined for small change sitting in his center console. So rest assured scumbag losers out there would do it in a heartbeat.

Now, adding something to the tank, that's another story...

Indeed, yet it would seem some people want to dismiss the threat, or come up with absurd alternatives. (See below)

or just poking a hole in the plastic tank from below.....

Well if someone really wanted to harm your property, they could just set you car on fire, right.

Your average punk might key your paint or the like, but why have a design that easily allows them to pour anything they want into your fuel system?
So sure, someone might carry around a cordless drill to secretly insert something into a vehicle that has a locking gas door/cap. But I'd much rather have as much of a deterrent to the average punk as possible.
There is no excuse for any modern car to not have protection against theft/vandalism, much less one that is so expensive.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are asking me, I have not in decades. When I did, it was in an effort to drain a tank prior to removal. Still that misses the point, as I am not a penniless punk, but there are plenty around who would be tempted to steal $90 worth of gas. Heck a friend of mine had his convertible top cut and ruined for small change sitting in his center console. So rest assured scumbag losers out there would do it in a heartbeat.

Indeed, yet it would seem some people want to dismiss the threat, or come up with absurd alternatives. (See below)

Well if someone really wanted to harm your property, they could just set you car on fire, right.

Your average punk might key your paint or the like, but why have a design that easily allows them to pour anything they want into your fuel system?
So sure, someone might carry around a cordless drill to secretly insert something into a vehicle that has a locking gas door/cap. But I'd much rather have as much of a deterrent to the average punk as possible.
There is no excuse for any modern car to not have protection against theft/vandalism, much less one that is so expensive.
we have more of a problem here with them getting under the cars with a sawzall and cutting off the catalytic converters then stealing gas or anything else.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have more of a problem here with them getting under the cars with a sawzall and cutting off the catalytic converters then stealing gas or anything else.

What?
Why do they want the cats, to resell for dope or something?

See, a proximity sensor would help to prevent that type of crime.

BTW-We were just posting in the front licence plate thread and talking about all the problems in CA. In SF which some consider the crown jewel of cities in your state, they have an explosion of homelessness and crime. It is supposedly the #1 city in the country for bicycle theft/vandalism.
That combined with homelessness out of control and you cannot even walk the streets without being accosted or stepping in human feces.
Look at this crazy app to help people in SF avoid all the poop in the city;

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/human-wasteland-map-plots-all-of-san-franciscos-poop

Talk about a place transforming for the worse because of irresponsible government.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What?

See, a proximity sensor would help to prevent that type of crime.

BTW-We were just posting in the front licence plate thread and talking about all the problems in CA. In SF which some consider the crown jewel of cities in your state, they have an explosion of homelessness and crime. It is supposedly the #1 city in the country for bicycle theft/vandalism.
That combined with homelessness out of control and you cannot even walk the streets without being accosted or stepping in human feces.
Look at this crazy app to help people in SF avoid all the poop in the city;

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/human-wasteland-map-plots-all-of-san-franciscos-poop

Talk about a place transforming for the worse because of irresponsible government.
lol, that's a bunch of crap, it's not that bad, however there may be a couple "choice" spots, the homeless migrate like birds because of the mild climate and people hand them money if they just put there sad face on and stand on the corner.
as for the converter's yes they sell them to the scrap yards who in turn break them down for the platinum and other precious metals inside

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, that's a bunch of crap, it's not that bad, however there may be a couple "choice" spots, the homeless migrate like birds because of the mild climate and people hand them money if they just put there sad face on and stand on the corner.
as for the converter's yes they sell them to the scrap yards who in turn break them down for the platinum and other precious metals inside

Have you been to Frisco lately?
It is pretty bad, and the bicycle data is documented, unlike the feces which I don't think the state monitors (as of yet) ;)
The same is true of parts of Vancouver. I remember it as a wonderful city and in some ways it still is. However what use to be an eclectic tourist magnet called Gas Town has turned into a haven for homeless and dopers to the point it is driving people away.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been to Frisco lately?
It is pretty bad, and the bicycle data is documented, unlike the feces which I don't think the state monitors (as of yet) ;)
The same is true of parts of Vancouver. I remember it as a wonderful city and in some ways it still is. However what use to be an eclectic tourist magnet called Gas Town has turned into a haven for homeless and dopers to the point it is driving people away.
I haven't been there in a few months but I can't imagine it being any worse now than it ever was, it's crowded and overpriced, modern technology is probably just bringing to light the things that have always been there. it's a 10-2 city, if you are not out of there by 2 o'clock your not getting home till about 7-8

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What?

Like Do said, precious metals. We have a VW dealership in town that got hit one night and they stole about 20 cats off the new cars in the lot. They slide under, sawzall the cats and move on to the next. Can't say if its always for drugs or not but most of the time the theft is big money but the few that are caught, its all about a big house and fancy cars. Most dope fiends are too busy looking for their next fix to be bothered to get themselves a house in a nice neighborhood and an Lexus.

gonatee

Reaction score
Hmmm from what i see there is a little flap that would prevent water from entering and anything that would accumulate there i would assume there was a a weep hole on the bottom side of the black plastic. I seriously doubt the amt of ‘water’ entering the tank is negligible at best.View attachment 191568

Ya dirt and water. build up on the flap. Where does it go when you shove the fuel nozzle in? I prefer not to have any water and especially no dirt in my fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts