Newbie 4WD question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9C1C

Reaction score
Hi all - I got a 2004 Yukon SLT 4x4 a few months ago, and I've not owned a 4x4 before. From what I understand, when in 4H if one of the front wheels loses traction and the rear wheel on the opposing corner loses traction the Yukon will essentially be stuck. I noticed I have the G80 code for limited slip and wondered if this means that in the situation I just mentioned my rear axle would put power to the wheel with traction, thereby meaning the rear wouldn't need a locker to get traction. Is that right, or does the G80 make no difference in that situation (ie put power to the spinning wheel)?

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yrs, the G80 does apply power to both rear wheels when it senses wheel slippage. As for how well it works, sorry, I couldn't tell you.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
The G80 is a decent locker. It’s RPM sensitive, when the wheel speed difference is great enough it locks. Hard and abruptly. So it’s better for slick surfaces than rock crawling.

There is a document by GM I’ve seen posted on here with precise descriptions of exactly how it works. Maybe you can search it or someone will resurface that.

There is also, I believe, active BLD (brake lock differential) action incorporated into the front and rear using the ABS to brake a spinning wheel. Unfortunately I have not found any solid information on precisely under what conditions this operates.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is my 01 Tahoe does not have a g80 Locker but the thing goes through a lot more then I thought it would when I purchased it ( snow / mud). 265/75R16 bf good rich ko2’s help!

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be surprised how far your truck will go in stock form. I had an 03 suburban with goodyear duratrac tires and that thing was a tank.
I have no complaints at all! I went from a 2001 grand Cherokee limited with the 4.7L V8 & Quadra drive (limited slip differentials front and back) and thought was going to be disappointed in the Tahoe & I was wrong.

OP
OP

9C1C

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I do have some Yokohama Geolander A/Ts on it in 285 and I've only been able to test out the 4WD on a wet grassy slope so far (got me off no problem). Before I end up in some actual challenging conditions, like some snow this winter or on a muddy trail, I wondered just how much the G80 helps with the 4WD system.

Spacido

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2001 Tahoe is fitted with the G80 with Pirelli Scorpion AT + tires.
I often do all terrain with my truck and I use it to take out my wood trailer for the winter (around 1000 lbs for the trailer and 5500 lbs of wood). The G80 is very very efficient, I am rarely in 4lo or 4hi.

It's been a long time since it hasn't snowed a lot in my area so I can't say if it's effective on snow, but in other conditions, a Tahoe and the G80 are impeccable

You put yourself in Auto 4WD when you are doing off-road or in difficult weather and your truck takes care of keeping you alive :Big Laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali