Newb with a tow haul ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased last week a 2014 Tahoe SSV. It does have the 6 speed trans. with external cooler and tow package with the hitch an all. Little over a 100,000 on it. As expected it needs a few things interior wise.

Noticed yesterday that the tow/haul button doesn’t work, no noticeable change in shift points, being delayed in shifting up or down. My near million mile silverado when the button is engaged it’s a noticeable change in the trans shifting.

Is it programming or something needs to be reconnected up under the dash or relay fuse in the fuse box??

Also my power outlets don’t work in the center stack or in the middle seat bottom cubbie.

Thanks
Paul
5trmtpr

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the tow/haul idiot light come on in the instrument cluster? Check fuses!
The the idiot lite doesn’t come on. Will check fuses and relays this coming weekend.

One person said the wiring on the stalk to the connector under the instrument clusters tend to pull apart. Anyone here truth to that?

Paul

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The the idiot lite doesn’t come on. Will check fuses and relays this coming weekend.

One person said the wiring on the stalk to the connector under the instrument clusters tend to pull apart. Anyone here truth to that?

Paul
put it in M

does it have to be in M gear for the tow mode to work?

at lest what i had to do on the XFE Tahoe I had before i returned it due to a title issue it had a 6 speed auto btw

Last edited:

Baddawg

Reaction score
put it in M

does it have to be in M gear for the tow mode to work?

at lest what i had to do on the XFE Tahoe I had before i returned it due to a title issue it had a 6 speed auto btw

Nope, it is either in Tow/Haul OR in Manual.
Tow/Haul changes the shift points to provide a little higher RPM operation, more readily available power and engine breaking.
In Tow/Haul and with Cruise control set it wil downshift to control speed when going down hill.

rzabel

Reaction score
I had an F250 and the wire from the tow button on the shifter wore against something in the steering column and shorted out. Half my instument cluster went out and of course the tow function didn't work. The guy at the Ford garage knew exactly what it was and said it happens all the time.

Bowana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 05 Tahoe. A wire in the harness (orange if I remember correctly) broke just under the collar where the wheel tilts. Just had to pull the plastics off the column and found it without having to search very far. Google the issue and you will find several threads on this subject with some YouTube help as well.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions, I’ll look down the column to see if there are any broken wires. I’m also wondering if the PD this truck came from did disconnect the function. Stranger things have happened.