New to the chevy world, 15 burban ltz, bad struts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdeadly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been a ford guy my whole life, but we just had our third kid and needed a bigger rig, and my wife liked the suburban. So I went and looked at a dozen or so before I found one that fit the bill.

It's a 15 ltz with 83000 on it, seemed like a good deal, but now after having it a short while I've noticed it's very rough riding, took it to the shop and they quoted me 1400 dollars for one strut replacement.

This lead me down a rabbit hole of doing it myself, which led me here. I have read through quite a few threads concerning this topic, and I think I have an idea of what I want to do but thought I would ask specifically.

I am thinking I want to do the arnott front struts with the magneride delete, but I am also not convinced that I should ditch the magneride, ad I've seen some people say they have been upgraded since they first came out and are of better quality.

Thank you in advance. Here is a pic of our truck. 20230322_125057.jpg

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car-part.com

I've had good luck with low mile salvage parts. Or ebay for the same thing. Just put in you model and year and compare RPO codes to the glove box ones. Usually can find low mile complete units foe a fraction of the cost. Just my 0.02

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Very nice find!

I'd recommend keeping the Magnaride, as it is a superior suspension system, IMO. The parts aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for, at best.

My recommendation is to purchase the core Magnaride strut and have a local repair shop disassemble the old strut and build the new strut for you. This way, you don't have to mess around with renting and/or using a spring compressor, which can be dangerous. The rest of the job is quite easy for you to do.

OP
OP
C

cdeadly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, now maybe I have new plans, maybe I will stay with the magneride.

Now the dealership said I needed a new strut, would it be advisable to get the strut with the spring assembly and replace the whole thing? Or is it worth it to save the spring and just replace the strut?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, now maybe I have new plans, maybe I will stay with the magneride.

Now the dealership said I needed a new strut, would it be advisable to get the strut with the spring assembly and replace the whole thing? Or is it worth it to save the spring and just replace the strut?
Rebuild the spring. There is a difference in quality with those quick struts and the OE stuff but several guys on here have used the quick struts and are plenty happy with them.

Whatever you do, do it in pairs.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to do it again. I’d buy the shocks and see if I could find a mechanic that would compress the spring and rebuild the shock at a fair price. Then install myself. If it made sense cost wise. L

I bought a “heavy duty” spring compressor to do my front struts and I’ll tell you I was clenching the whole time. The compressor was twisting and looked like it was ready to give out any moment.

Maybe it would if worked better if the compressor was mounted to something solid like a metal post. And longer handles for more leverage would have been nicer. Or maybe the tool works great for smaller springs. But for the Yukon (same suspension as yours). It was not up to the task comfortably

7C0073D0-887A-4831-A242-59D64ABF271E.png88150CBE-4C35-47C7-A1CE-83A4BD8FE36B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts