New to me 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prices aren't bad. I'll do a little research and probably grab one. Do you recommend any brand in particular? Is there such a thing as a high performance radiator?
OEM if you can get one reasonable, rockauto usually has good prices, I would stay from cheap ones they tend to be more trouble than they are worth, I bought mine from 1800radiator paid probably as much as a oem one would have been but I got a lifetime warranty and it was a smidge thicker than a oem one, if you have a local radiator shop they usually can swing a good price for oem or a quality brand name we have one here where I live they only sell radiators they don't do installs so they are more commercially priced they mostly sell to the repair shops who in turn mark them up.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The behavior that you’re describing is normal on these rigs in my opinion. I have both a 2007 and a 2012 Denali, and pull a 3000 pound trailer often. On a hot day, going uphill at low RPM, my temperature gauge creeps up to between the 210 mark and the one above it. Happens on both rigs. I’ve read a lot about towing with these things, and others have said the same. The only thing that keeps these things cool pulling a trailer in hot weather is an aftermarket transmission cooler. Seems to help both transmission and coolant temperatures.

Keep in mind that the boiling point of a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water at 12 psi cooling system pressure, will be 259°F so there is plenty of margin built into the cooling system even if the temperature creeps up over the 230 mark.

Also, 5w-30 is what you want, especially pulling in hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Klewis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The behavior that you’re describing is normal on these rigs in my opinion. I have both a 2007 and a 2012 Denali, and pull a 3000 pound trailer often. On a hot day, going uphill at low RPM, my temperature gauge creeps up to between the 210 mark and the one above it. Happens on both rigs. I’ve read a lot about towing with these things, and others have said the same. The only thing that keeps these things cool pulling a trailer in hot weather is an aftermarket transmission cooler. Seems to help both transmission and coolant temperatures.

Keep in mind that the boiling point of a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water at 12 psi cooling system pressure, will be 259°F so there is plenty of margin built into the cooling system even if the temperature creeps up over the 230 mark.

Also, 5w-30 is what you want, especially pulling in hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have 2011 Denali XL with the 6.2 liter and going uphill for long stretches even without a trailer my engine temps are above 210 but never more then 235. When towing it won’t get above 235 on the hills. It freaked me out at first.

Just got back from Yosemite and my trans temp hit 241 with no trailer!! I have the trucool ready to install this weekend.

I already installed the 700w fan and am also looking to upgrade my radiator as well.

Let me know if you find a good radiator upgrade.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Agreed. I have 2011 Denali XL with the 6.2 liter and going uphill for long stretches even without a trailer my engine temps are above 210 but never more then 235. When towing it won’t get above 235 on the hills. It freaked me out at first.

Just got back from Yosemite and my trans temp hit 241 with no trailer!! I have the trucool ready to install this weekend.

I already installed the 700w fan and am also looking to upgrade my radiator as well.

Let me know if you find a good radiator upgrade.

JMO, consider a bigger alt DENSO 6860 220 amp and install a 1.9 inch overdrive pulley. That 700 watt motor draws 55 amps to go to high speed and at an idle it may cause problems, also run a "new" 7 blade fan on that motor for max cooling effect. I have to think somthing is not right to hit 241 trans temp without towing? stick to ACDELCO oem radiator. do you have the dual fan setup? and if so which side are you running the 700 watt motor? My opinion is you want the 700 watt motor and 7 blade fan on the drivers side as this is the coolant "hot return" and you want to pull as much heat as possible as quickly as possible. Feel free to disregard all of these tid bits as useless info!, just how im controlling heat on our 08 xl1500 6.2 143,000k

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, the one only time my temp ever even budged was at 8000 feet 70 degrees outside and doing about 95mph for a extended period and that was with 700w fans a fresh radiator and trucool 40k, (trans temp stayed at 165) on both my 00 and my 03 I replaced the radiator when they started to budge over the normal center line and they both stopped doing it with the new radiator installed.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the bucks see if an all metal one is available. My Tahoe had an aluminum core, but the ends were high impact plastic with the core wrapped around the plastic ends. Trouble was the plastic weakened over time, from the heat, and it eventually cracks or splits at the seem or right at the filler neck below the cap seat. I ended up getting the OEM part as the all metal one was $900 and it would take about a week to ship it out here. I used my Tahoe as a daily form of transportation and couldn't wait. Plus, they had plenty of the OEM radiators and I think they were only $250. Big difference! But in the end...it's all up to you. Hope this helps!

Bill1013

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are some options, I would have to look for them but will let you, of companies out there that make custom all aluminum radiators. They will bolt right in.

Klewis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are some options, I would have to look for them but will let you, of companies out there that make custom all aluminum radiators. They will bolt right in.

I’ve been looking around online to find reviews on Cold-Case Radiators. They look good but some reviews indicate that fan shroud won’t fit back on without modification. Close to pulling the trigger on one

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go with the project scope of replacing the radiator, I'd highly recommend replacing all rubber hot water hoses. I recently had a heater hose blow out on me, and was not a pretty sight. I ended up replacing all of them, and they were all labeled with the original year of manufacture for the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076