New Tires Soon, Gauging Interest in Other Brands

Which Tire?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lakerider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t read all the comments but I’ve put the Michelin ltx on a 2003 f150 and twice on a 2011 Honda Pilot. They are simply the best tires I’ve ever had on any car. I plan on them for my 2021 Yukon after the oem’s are done.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voted other.

Look for the tires in my sig. Advanta atx 750s. Have a set on both my Tahoe and Silverado. Inexpensive, ride good, good wear, good traction all around.

cment

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put a set of Yokohama G015 Geolanders on her 2017 Land cruiser and we both loved them.

Had the Wildpeak and Cooper AT3 xl on my old ram. The cooper was better imo in rain and snow.

Just ordered the General Grabber at/x for my 2022 AT4. Need at least a 8 ply for where I live and where we hunt.

Shorrsteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please dont put E-rated tires on your Tahoe.You will lose your filling in your teeth the first month and wish you had not done that.
I just put Cooper Defender AT3 XLT on my Yukon. But I tow 7000lbs 90% of its miles. Plus I load the back end up too. Do you think I shouldnt use E rated tires?

Delta33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First! I just bought a set of Pirelli scorpion as3 plus. second set. i've had multiple sets of Defenders. Hankook was on the truck when i bought it. didn't care for them. too noisy, but otherwise they were ok. IMO the Pirelli provides the best performance for me. I'm 98% pavement. they are quiet, excellent dry traction, excellent feedback, good in the rain. and cost about the same as the others. My last set of Scorpions is still going (sold my last truck, 2013 avalanche to a friend, tires are still good @45k miles) . Hope this helps!!
How do you like the Pirelli vs defenders? Is one more comfortable and quiter? Im between both

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you like the Pirelli vs defenders? Is one more comfortable and quiter? Im between both
i think the defenders were def softer ,more comfortable, but not by much. And the Pirellis have way better wet traction imho. and they last way longer, based on my experience with both tires.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm out for tires son, myself. And I'm looking for light mud/snow/ice traction. I was leaning toward the Defenders, but I've never purchased "high end" tires before, so I'm not sure what to get. The mid range stuff? Got that covered.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Used, not new. They were on a set of 17 rims that came off a 2010 Tahoe. They still have decent tread on them (5 mm) and they will get me into next year. The ride is fantastic! Very quiet and soaks up road defects and bumps vey well. They are a 70k mile tire and from the looks of things, that is probably accurate. I hope to get a new set next spring, which will probably outlast the truck.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you know anything about their wet or mud/snow/ice capabilities? I will not be mudding or anything like that, but I expect to see mud/ice/snow about 10-14 days per year.

Thanks again!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you know anything about their wet or mud/snow/ice capabilities? I will not be mudding or anything like that, but I expect to see mud/ice/snow about 10-14 days per year.

Thanks again!
They don't carry a "3 Peaks" Severe Snow rating symbol.
But the M/S or M/S2 versions of the Defender LTX tires are quality all-season tires intended for some mud and snow as the M/S letters designate and they are Michelin.

There are certainly more aggressive tread patterns, and the Severe Snow 3 Peak ratings would probably do better in really heavy un-plowed road conditions.

But the Defender LTX M/S is a long-lasting, very quiet, confident riding tire that would do very well in most conditions all year long.

Tire choice is like buying sneakers... What you end up with ends up being a very personal decision. That is why buying tires can be such a stressful purchase. They are not cheap! What if I get the wrong one for me? Maybe I'll hate it! Ugh...

I had Federal Couragia 33x12 R15 on my Jeep. Great in deep snow. Too wide for wet roads and hydroplaned all the time hitting puddles. Awful on ice. But they looked bad-a$$! Aggressive tread also wore almost before your eyes. Significant wear in one year and would get may 2 years out of them at most.

I love my Defender LTX M/S tires and will probably go with them. But I will still second guess myself a dozen times between now and when it comes time to pull the trigger in the spring, just because it is such an important and costly purchase...

But, safety is something to not cheap out on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt