New Tires Soon, Gauging Interest in Other Brands

Which Tire?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to post yet another "what tire should I get" question, but here I am. I am looking for input regarding tire options for my 2005 Z71 Tahoe, bone stock. I have close to 50k miles on my current set of tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, standard load) and I'm just about to my wear indicators so I wanted to gauge for input on potentially changing brands, given my current needs. Unless advised otherwise I am looking at going up in size to the 285/70R17 instead of the 265s, mainly for aesthetics.

The tahoe is driven on pavement > 90% of the time, though I do sometimes venture out onto loose sand at the outer banks. Loose gravel roads are somewhat common, but not a whole lot of muddy terrain. I don't tow a lot, but if I do it's just an open trailer of yard waste to the dump. I will haul things in the back of the tahoe more than anything and I have definitely gotten closer to the max tire pressure rating than I'd like thanks to the tire's difficult (for me) to manage tire pressure --> even with performing the manual calculations to see what tire pressure my tahoe actually needs for each tire, I end up with underinflated tires, as evident by the cupping observed in the tread pattern. Going up another 5 psi or so gets me normal wear but also puts me closer to the end of tire pressure I don't want to be on.

So, in addition to answering the poll, I would like some input regarding the following questions:

1. How well do the Defenders hold up in loose sand? The outer banks access roads are typically full of the VERY dry loose packed sand (the kind that you sink over your feet if you walk on it). I air down and usually don't much issue with the Coopers but I have definitely slung some sand with them.

2. Are there any arguments against going up to the C or E load range?

3. How well do the Cooper AT3 LT tires hold up, relative to the AT3 or AT3 4S? I have seen a few hit or miss reviews for the LT rated tires.

My biggest needs for the new tires are:

1. Dry and Wet traction
2. Tread Life
3. Ability to handle the occasional non-paved roads

Thanks to everyone that responds via the poll and/or via comment.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First! I just bought a set of Pirelli scorpion as3 plus. second set. i've had multiple sets of Defenders. Hankook was on the truck when i bought it. didn't care for them. too noisy, but otherwise they were ok. IMO the Pirelli provides the best performance for me. I'm 98% pavement. they are quiet, excellent dry traction, excellent feedback, good in the rain. and cost about the same as the others. My last set of Scorpions is still going (sold my last truck, 2013 avalanche to a friend, tires are still good @45k miles) . Hope this helps!!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scored a set of 4 17 inch factory wheels off a 2013 Tahoe with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on them for $175 for the entire set!

The tires still had a lot of tread on them and all have worn very evenly.

I'll tell you one thing... These are some of the nicest riding tires I have ever driven on!! Very quiet on the highway and they just soak up the road like nothing is there. Not a super-aggressive tread, but definitely a really nice all-terrain tire with great highway manners.

They are pricey for new ones, but they are some of the best tires (even though they are used) I have ever had.
Worth every penny.

Who knows how much money I'll have when I need to replace them, but I'll do my best to see if I can save up and get them again.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a bunch of research and asked a bunch of questions. I ended up buying 9 Bridgestone tires. Those were paid off in March, I think... Zero interest FTW!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last set of tires were KO2s in Load Range C, stock size and they were great. They could have gone 60K miles or more had I not been fooling with the air pressure so much in the beginning and replaced a bad ball joint sooner. Those tires took the truck everywhere.

Now running the Michelin Defenders, P-Metric Standard Load, stock size and they are awesome. They have easily handled gravel and dirt roads and some light sand. I have not had a chance yet to play off road with them. Gas mileage went up and they are quiet and comfortable.

I love the looks of the KO2s, but wanted better mileage for our road trips. They have excellent reviews by folks with regards to how well they perform off-road. That's why I went with them versus another set of KO2s.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders if you want great handling and long tread wear, and fully capable of handling NH winters. If you want a tire that 'looks' tougher, then other folks here can advise you on that.

02Yukon2500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Of the brands you mentioned, the BFG is the only one I have personal experience with, and it was on a GMC 3500 (SRW). They handled great, and I got about 45k out of them.

After that, I switched to Mickey Thompson ATZs as I wanted better mud performance. I got that, but they were too noisy for my taste. They lasted about 42k miles.

I'm currently running Dick Cepek Trail Country EXPs on my 3500 as well as my Yukon XL 2500. Seem to be in between the BFG and Mickey's - better traction than the BFG, but quieter than the Mickey's. A little squirrely to start, but they've settled down. So far, I've only got maybe 10k on them, so we'll see how they last.

These are all load-range E, so the lighter load ranges may be a little different...

Danny

Raserx63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hate to post yet another "what tire should I get" question, but here I am. I am looking for input regarding tire options for my 2005 Z71 Tahoe, bone stock. I have close to 50k miles on my current set of tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, standard load) and I'm just about to my wear indicators so I wanted to gauge for input on potentially changing brands, given my current needs. Unless advised otherwise I am looking at going up in size to the 285/70R17 instead of the 265s, mainly for aesthetics.

The tahoe is driven on pavement > 90% of the time, though I do sometimes venture out onto loose sand at the outer banks. Loose gravel roads are somewhat common, but not a whole lot of muddy terrain. I don't tow a lot, but if I do it's just an open trailer of yard waste to the dump. I will haul things in the back of the tahoe more than anything and I have definitely gotten closer to the max tire pressure rating than I'd like thanks to the tire's difficult (for me) to manage tire pressure --> even with performing the manual calculations to see what tire pressure my tahoe actually needs for each tire, I end up with underinflated tires, as evident by the cupping observed in the tread pattern. Going up another 5 psi or so gets me normal wear but also puts me closer to the end of tire pressure I don't want to be on.

So, in addition to answering the poll, I would like some input regarding the following questions:

1. How well do the Defenders hold up in loose sand? The outer banks access roads are typically full of the VERY dry loose packed sand (the kind that you sink over your feet if you walk on it). I air down and usually don't much issue with the Coopers but I have definitely slung some sand with them.

2. Are there any arguments against going up to the C or E load range?

3. How well do the Cooper AT3 LT tires hold up, relative to the AT3 or AT3 4S? I have seen a few hit or miss reviews for the LT rated tires.

My biggest needs for the new tires are:

1. Dry and Wet traction
2. Tread Life
3. Ability to handle the occasional non-paved roads

Thanks to everyone that responds via the poll and/or via comment.
I live in t he northeast so snow is a factor me. I went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3. They are really good and a great value too. IMG_5724.jpegIMG_5726.jpeg

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders if you want great handling and long tread wear, and fully capable of handling NH winters. If you want a tire that 'looks' tougher, then other folks here can advise you on that.
Absolutely. The best and covers all bases tire you can buy. I really don't get these people that put aggressive tread tires on their vehicle.. Unless you regularly run fire roads or farm or have a ranch out west, What's the point? Looking tough from stop light to stop light?
They drag on mileage, are loud, and usually wear quickly. On a jeep, I get it. but on Tahoe/Yukon's, just doesn't fit the picture to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645