New noise. Please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really not sure what the deal is with these things but it’s like every time I start up there’s a new noise?!

This time it’s something with the belts or the pulley I don’t know I just changed the serpentine belt this previous summer, and I change the idler pulley bc they were making noise. Now I got another noise! Sheesh.

https://streamable.com/w2n1yi

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you do one belt, you do both belts. When you do an idler pulley, you do all idlers and the tensioners. You use quality parts. You did not say what brand you used. IMO, that alternator is making some noise. What does it sound like with the stethoscope?

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise sounded louder in the video when you were by the passenger side - almost like a slight exhaust tick. Does it go away when the engine warms up?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise sounded louder in the video when you were by the passenger side - almost like a slight exhaust tick. Does it go away when the engine warms up?
No it doesn’t. I have had exhaust tick since I got it. It’s a different noise that is faster than the exhaust tick if that makes sense. For example if I get under I hear the exhaust tick that’s slower and matches rpm. Top side I hear a different tick that is faster.

and @OR VietVet I used durlast idler pulley. Probably not the best. But i don’t think it’s That pulley. I just got it this last spring. And I know the alternator COULD be changed but it isn’t giving me issues yet. It still cranks right up and holds starting power even on the coldest nights with my disabler plugged in even.

The noise seems to be coming from lower than the idler pulley and tensioner pulley, and alternator. Guessing it’s the accessory belt or someone even said the compressor?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do one belt, you do both belts. When you do an idler pulley, you do all idlers and the tensioners. You use quality parts. You did not say what brand you used. IMO, that alternator is making some noise. What does it sound like with the stethoscope?
I will listen again to the pulleys and try to narrow it down again for you and get back To ya. Really wish I had my extension piece for my stethoscope and than maybe I could reach down further. I wanna drive it but I don’t wanna make things worse. Already need rear shocks changed. Don’t wanna add to the what seems like a never ending list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts