New noise. Please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also use a long screwdriver, if you have one, that you place close to the noise area and put ear to the end of screwdriver handle. Hell, you can use a long socket extension, too.
So I believe it’s the compressor and or compressor/accessory belt. I got under the vehicle and was able to pinpoint it through the splash shield on the front. Gonna link a video below this comment.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like your compressor pulley. It's not too hard to replace but you will have to purge your ac system to remove the lines, then run a vacuum and refill it once you swap in the new one. I agree with VietVet that you should go ahead and replace both belts, and check your tensioner and idler pulleys while you're down there.

The ticking noise sounds like a manifold leak, hopefully it isn't a AFM lifter but that would be much more audible.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like your compressor pulley. It's not too hard to replace but you will have to purge your ac system to remove the lines, then run a vacuum and refill it once you swap in the new one. I agree with VietVet that you should go ahead and replace both belts, and check your tensioner and idler pulleys while you're down there.

The ticking noise sounds like a manifold leak, hopefully it isn't a AFM lifter but that would be much more audible.
Well, this is probably the best time to do it when it’s cold out. Can I keep riding it or will it ruin things?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tensioner pulley it an easy fix - 15 min or so if it's the spring loaded style. I had the same issue on my 2008. If you take the belt off, remove the tensioner (1 bolt) and spin it by hand it will probably sound raspy. If it's still OEM, I've had good luck with popping the dust seal off one side, washing it with brake clean, and then repacking it with grease. Install dust shield and give it a whirl. Did this probably 30k ago and still quiet as a mouse. Just food for thought. After buying a replacement from advanced auto and seeing how crappy it was, I resorted to above mentioned idea. I did both tensioners and 1 idler this way. The grease just gets hard and dry - sticks to the race and doesn't move around anymore.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As I stated above, it is best to do all at the same time and be done with it. I get if money is tight. The tensioner assembly is easy to change. To be sure though, the compressor pulley and the tensioner pulley are two different things. Which are you talking about?

I have replayed the video a half dozen times and I do not hear anything definitive for the source of the noise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tensioner pulley it an easy fix - 15 min or so if it's the spring loaded style. I had the same issue on my 2008. If you take the belt off, remove the tensioner (1 bolt) and spin it by hand it will probably sound raspy. If it's still OEM, I've had good luck with popping the dust seal off one side, washing it with brake clean, and then repacking it with grease. Install dust shield and give it a whirl. Did this probably 30k ago and still quiet as a mouse. Just food for thought. After buying a replacement from advanced auto and seeing how crappy it was, I resorted to above mentioned idea. I did both tensioners and 1 idler this way. The grease just gets hard and dry - sticks to the race and doesn't move around anymore.
You sure? I could have sworn it was the compressor pulley. It was coming from lower than the tensioner. I listened to the tensioner via stethoscope and it sounded ok I guess. Didn’t sound like the noise I was hearing elsewhere

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I stated above, it is best to do all at the same time and be done with it. I get if money is tight. The tensioner assembly is easy to change. To be sure though, the compressor pulley and the tensioner pulley are two different things. Which are you talking about?

I have replayed the video a half dozen times and I do not hear anything definitive for the source of the noise.
I think it’s the compressor

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way I can't hear it from here. LOL

Since you have it narrowed down, you should be able to remove the belt and spin both by hand. The compressor pulley should spin freely by hand with the engine off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar