New Engine...Low Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMperformance03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And the nightmare continues. After deciding to have the motor rebuilt in my 2007 Yukon Denali (6.2) I am dealing with an issue that has not been able to be solved so far.

The shop I paid to remove and rebuild the motor has taken the motor out several times since the original rebuild. The problem is when engine gets to operating temp the oil pressure only stays around 8-10 PSI. Seems very low for a supposed rebuilt engine. The rebuilder called me last week and told me it was fixed (wrong cam bearings installed) so I drove 4 hours north to pick it up. After driving about 15 miles I noticed the oil pressure dropping at low RPM’s and check engine light came on. The truck seems to run fine with the exception of low oil pressure at operating temps under lower RPM’s. Any idea on what the issue could be?

$4,100.00 later and I still dealing with this headache. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do need to manually test the oil pressure to confirm the problem. Do the in dash gauges ever malfunction or give false readings or is that not real common?

Is this safe to drive given the apparent low oil pressure readings?

OP
OP
G

GMperformance03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me expand...the low oil pressure is typically at idle and low RPM situations. Typical driving conditions usual oil pressure stays between 30 & 40 PSI.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Whatever the issue is let the shop figure it out, especially for $4100. If you mess with it they might say YOU did something, and now it's not warranted any more. Let them figure it out, especially since they rebuilt it and you've paid them. Just my opinion.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^second tonys comment
also since its gone on for a while and thats a chunk of change. id start getting aggressive with them that they either figure it out or give you back a large chunk of that money so you can pay a better shop to figure out what they did wrong.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
^^second tonys comment
also since its gone on for a while and thats a chunk of change. id start getting aggressive with them that they either figure it out or give you back a large chunk of that money so you can pay a better shop to figure out what they did wrong.
Agreed too. I think they're jerking you around.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a oil pump issue (possibly the pickup tube oring) from the description. Do not drive your truck with low oil pressure take it back and have them fix their mistake.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Why don’t you do the overfill the oil in the crankcase trick to see if the o ring on the pick up tube is compromised. Don’t have the thread handy but it’s deff something that can be checked and immediately reversed.

Until the thread is posted ... it describes overfilling w/ oil at idle, no drive truck when overfilled, savvy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me expand...the low oil pressure is typically at idle and low RPM situations. Typical driving conditions usual oil pressure stays between 30 & 40 PSI.
mine is about 50-70PSI under typical driving conditions

Hybrid Vortec 6000

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is about 50-70PSI under typical driving conditions

Hybrid Vortec 6000

The aluminum V8s run lower oil pressures than that. The bypass is set for the 30s.

And the nightmare continues. After deciding to have the motor rebuilt in my 2007 Yukon Denali (6.2) I am dealing with an issue that has not been able to be solved so far.

The shop I paid to remove and rebuild the motor has taken the motor out several times since the original rebuild. The problem is when engine gets to operating temp the oil pressure only stays around 8-10 PSI. Seems very low for a supposed rebuilt engine. The rebuilder called me last week and told me it was fixed (wrong cam bearings installed) so I drove 4 hours north to pick it up. After driving about 15 miles I noticed the oil pressure dropping at low RPM’s and check engine light came on. The truck seems to run fine with the exception of low oil pressure at operating temps under lower RPM’s. Any idea on what the issue could be?

$4,100.00 later and I still dealing with this headache. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do need to manually test the oil pressure to confirm the problem. Do the in dash gauges ever malfunction or give false readings or is that not real common?

Is this safe to drive given the apparent low oil pressure readings?

Yes, gauges and sensors can be faulty. The screen under the sensor may have become clogged or any number of other problems may have arisen during assembly. From not using the right parts to not having cleaned the motor properly prior to assembly. Even the dumbell in back needs to be put in right along with the pick up tube o-ring and on and on.

If it's under warranty, it's safe to drive! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts