New blazer vs Chevy Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM really did their best to tarnish the Blazer nameplate here: an I4/V6 crossover on an FWD platform with zero offroad capability. Yeah it'll sell well I'm sure, but what a slap in the face to everyone that's owned or wanted to own a K5. Even the S-10 Blazer was a more capable and less offensive offering.

I'm with you.

I wonder what the difference is between this new "Blazer" and a Traverse, and why they want to build both.

joe

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM really did their best to tarnish the Blazer nameplate here: an I4/V6 crossover on an FWD platform with zero offroad capability.

I know right? Did GM really need yet ANOTHER crossover SUV in their line up?!?! What a dumbass marketing/new model decision.

I just can't get onboard with the looks of the Blazer. It looks like a Hyndaii. I wish they would have taken the route that Ford did with the Bronco and introduced a little bit of "retro" styling into it.

Agree 100%

Coming from a previous owner of an AWD Trailblazer SS...

There’s a reason I owned that vehicle for almost 10 years and 200K miles.

There’s a reason why a lot of SUV’s now days don’t even see “off-road” and are driven by soccer moms. Because they need the space and the occasional bad weather driving capability. (Like it or not it’s reality)

There’s a reason why the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is FCA’s #1 selling SRT8 model. Because car enthusiasts that enjoy driving something fun with a little power now have kids to cart around and/or don’t find it practical to drive a sport coupe/sedan year round.

And there’s absolutely no reason why GM shouldn’t be stuffing the new LT1 and LT4 into a damn Tahoe or truck platform “traditional” body and frame design Blazer and tapping into the performance SUV market with a couple mid size and full size “SS” trim models with a 500+ HP offering.

Hey GM... Get your head out of your own ass.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CMoore711

Agree 100%. A 500 hp Tahoe SS model with factory matte graphics like the rally style graphics/stripes package that the Silverado has would be killer.

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
I think you have to take the vehicles for what they are or were. The k5 was replaced by the Tahoe. It wasn’t as off road capable as the blazer but how many people used them for tough off roading. The wrangler took that lead. The s10 blazer and trailblazers were pretty good for what they were. “Mini Tahoe’s”. The new blazer, I drove a v6 awd tracked nicely and had 50 less hp than the Tahoe. She flew. My first impression was that it would make a good police car. ( better than the explorer). I think Chevy will have a winner here. It will appeal to a larger cross section of people.
Yeah I agree for sure. My argument is the use of the nameplate for this vehicle, not the vehicle itself. I have no doubt it'll sell well, just hate that it's called a Blazer, especially at a time when Ford is reviving the Bronco nameplate and positioning it to compete with the Jeep Wrangler.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have problems with the front wheel bearings going out on any gm fwd based cuv. Luckily mine have always gone out under warranty.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CMoore711

Agree 100%. A 500 hp Tahoe SS model with factory matte graphics like the rally style graphics/stripes package that the Silverado has would be killer.
Unfortunately body on frame SUVs don’t make great performance vehicles. Especially for cornering.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with blazer is it's lack of size. It's essentially a crossover and most people who drive full size suvs need the space. So IMO a blazer vs tahoe comparison isn't apples to apples.
I’m the exception. Family of 3 with a esv escalade. Really don’t need the size but it’s convenient when I make runs to the store and not worry, will it fit.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately body on frame SUVs don’t make great performance vehicles. Especially for cornering.

Cornering is only one aspect of performance. I think Hennessey would also disagree.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have problems with the front wheel bearings going out on any gm fwd based cuv. Luckily mine have always gone out under warranty.

At what point (mileage) do they wear out? Generally speaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flagtime