New to Chevy/GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NT1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I can say having owned both 5.3 and 6.2 vehicles, there's definitely a noticeable difference. The 5.3 is perfectly adequate, and with as little as you drive it on the highway is perfect for your use case, especially if MPGs are a focus (Not that either of them are that efficient considering you're driving a house on wheels). The 6.2 has a lot more "get up" on the highway especially, and for towing (which I do a lot) it's an absolute must. On the flip side, I only see 14-15 mpg around town. So it's a tradeoff.

I considered a diesel for the long distance MPG benefits, but my commute daily is only 2 miles, and I read that is hell for diesel engines because it doesn't come close to operating temperature- diesels are meant to be run longer.

Thanks MPlunk. I was thinking the 5.3 might make sense for me too. Is the 5.3 overall pretty reliable or is this one of the engines that has had a lot of concerns?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

yukon-xl

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself and had some questions for everyone here. I have had 2 straight 2nd Gen Toyota Sequoias (2009 model and 2015 model Limited Trim) and have loved having them. They have good resale and have been extremely reliable with no surprise repairs and have great 2nd and 3rd row room. I also like that the 2nd and 3rd rows fold completely flat for hauling pretty much anything. I was considering getting the new Gen Sequoia but the funky tiered trunk and 3rd row are a dealbreaker and have been researching other options. In doing my research the Tahoe (and Yukon) really stand out and I had a few questions for everyone.

1. I do 95% city driving and was curious if there was an engine option you would recommend. I did some preliminary calculations on the diesel engine but believe it will not save much money at the end of the day given diesel costs 90 cents to a dollar more where I live compared to regular gas. Regarding the 5.3 vs 6.2, I am leaning toward the 5.3 as I don't need to tow anything. THoughts?

2. From an exterior perspective, I am leaning toward the Tahoe, and the features most important to me would be leather seats, power folding 2nd and 3rd row seats, 2nd row bench seat option, and power folding mirrors. Would the LT trim with a Luxury package be the best path? I do like the rims and look of the RST.

3. Do any of the trims include power folding running boards, or is that something to get aftermarket?

4. Are there ever deals under MSRP on new Tahoes or Yukons?

5. If I wanted to custom build one, how long might that take?

6. What is your favorite thing about the Tahoe/Yukon?
For question #4. Where are you located?

If you are not too far away from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (near Spokane, WA), or willing to fly there and drive the Yukon home, Robideaux Motors gave me about 5% off MSRP when I placed an order for 2022 Yukon XL SLT Diesel with Luxury pkg and all the options including max-tow pgk and sunroof. which saved me about $4,500 and it was only 4-5hrs drive for me.

Their contact below:

Pam
Customer Service Manager
208-664-8202
208-497-2252 To Text

Danya Sawyer
Robideaux Motors
(208) 664-8202

Last edited:

yukon-xl

Reaction score
Danya from Robideaux just emailed me today that they have one cancelation of a 3.0L Diesel 2024 yukon XL SLT black on black with Luxury package and 2nd row bucket seats and standard 20" wheels, MSRP of $77285 and she said they will sell it for $72-73k (so like $4500-$5000 below msrp)
If anyone is interested, it is supposed to be built 1/8/2024 and should probably be ready by end of Feb.
She also has a 6.2L gas white AT4 yukon xl that will be available.

Last edited:

mplunk

Reaction score
Thanks MPlunk. I was thinking the 5.3 might make sense for me too. Is the 5.3 overall pretty reliable or is this one of the engines that has had a lot of concerns?
Never had an issue with either, though I haven't yet taken a 6.2 over 100k miles. Within my extended family we've owned a bunch of these, and the only trouble we've had was my dad had a 21 Yukon with the 6.2 that got hit with the lifter failure. Didn't strand him or anything, dealership had it towed and fixed under warranty.

OP
OP
N

NT1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am back after a few weeks of driving nearly every large crossover and full size SUV and am leaning toward purchasing/building a Chevy Tahoe. With that said, I had some questions for the experts here. My main priorities are leather seats, a bench option in the 2nd row, power folding mirrors and a smooth ride. With that said, here are some questions.

1. The LT with the signature package appears to give me everything I would need. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the RST and add the Sport performance package which gives the 6.2 Engine and Magnetic ride control?

2. Is the Z71 the only trim that would have a rougher ride to it given its for off-roading?

3. How comfortable are the seats in the current Tahoe? I have read some comments that they are not comfortable for long drives.

4. Would it be worth it to wait for the 2025s with the new infotainment system and some other change planned?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with what your gut tells you. If you don’t mind the interior of the RST (red stitching) then go for that with the 6.2. You’ll get a smile on your face every time you step on the gas.

Seat comfort is subjective. I don’t mind the cloth seats in my SLE, but I would say they are on the stiffer side. We test drove the Expedition Max before getting our Yukon and the Expedition definitely had softer/wider seats. I had much higher priorities than the seats, so the Yukon won overall.

2025 deliveries are at least 10+ months out. You’ll get a larger infotainment, column shift stalk and new front end styling. Are those things important to you? If not, get a rig now and enjoy it. For sure the ‘25s will have a higher MSRP…

OP
OP
N

NT1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go with what your gut tells you. If you don’t mind the interior of the RST (red stitching) then go for that with the 6.2. You’ll get a smile on your face every time you step on the gas.

Seat comfort is subjective. I don’t mind the cloth seats in my SLE, but I would say they are on the stiffer side. We test drove the Expedition Max before getting our Yukon and the Expedition definitely had softer/wider seats. I had much higher priorities than the seats, so the Yukon won overall.

2025 deliveries are at least 10+ months out. You’ll get a larger infotainment, column shift stalk and new front end styling. Are those things important to you? If not, get a rig now and enjoy it. For sure the ‘25s will have a higher MSRP…

Thanks for the info. Any guess on how much more the MSRP might be? Also does the 6.2 require 91 or 93 octane?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself and had some questions for everyone here. I have had 2 straight 2nd Gen Toyota Sequoias (2009 model and 2015 model Limited Trim) and have loved having them. They have good resale and have been extremely reliable with no surprise repairs and have great 2nd and 3rd row room. I also like that the 2nd and 3rd rows fold completely flat for hauling pretty much anything. I was considering getting the new Gen Sequoia but the funky tiered trunk and 3rd row are a dealbreaker and have been researching other options. In doing my research the Tahoe (and Yukon) really stand out and I had a few questions for everyone.

1. I do 95% city driving and was curious if there was an engine option you would recommend. I did some preliminary calculations on the diesel engine but believe it will not save much money at the end of the day given diesel costs 90 cents to a dollar more where I live compared to regular gas. Regarding the 5.3 vs 6.2, I am leaning toward the 5.3 as I don't need to tow anything. THoughts?

2. From an exterior perspective, I am leaning toward the Tahoe, and the features most important to me would be leather seats, power folding 2nd and 3rd row seats, 2nd row bench seat option, and power folding mirrors. Would the LT trim with a Luxury package be the best path? I do like the rims and look of the RST.

3. Do any of the trims include power folding running boards, or is that something to get aftermarket?

4. Are there ever deals under MSRP on new Tahoes or Yukons?

5. If I wanted to custom build one, how long might that take?

6. What is your favorite thing about the Tahoe/Yukon?
I also had a 03 sequoia just recently sold it with 220,000 miles for 9 grand. I switched to a tahoe because part availability and the ease to work on and pretty good reliability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar