New blazer vs Chevy Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody look at the new blazer as a replacement for the Tahoe? Yesterday I looked at 2019 Silverados. If they are the new style replacements and that’s what the 2020 Tahoe will have, they look similar on the inside. The new blazer has some nice tech features that I assume will carry into the next Tahoe but the appearance of the Silverado looks similar to the present Tahoe, the blazer looks and acts differently.
The blazer is a few inches shorter, narrower and not quite as long. The rs is nice to drive with good pick up and steering. If the present Tahoe had the 6.2 and 10 speed as a regular option I’d be gtg.

I'm of the generation that when the word Blazer or Jimmy is mentioned, my mind immediately thinks of the full-size, two door trucks (square bodies). Then I see this new little thing and laugh. But then remember, GM moved these names to the small truck platform and that's what they're bringing back, kinda sorta. Same size maybe but appears to be FWD Crossover and not a little full frame truck. I'd never consider one, not for me or my family.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm of the generation that when the word Blazer or Jimmy is mentioned, my mind immediately thinks of the full-size, two door trucks (square bodies). Then I see this new little thing and laugh. But then remember, GM moved these names to the small truck platform and that's what they're bringing back, kinda sorta. Same size maybe but appears to be FWD Crossover and not a little full frame truck. I'd never consider one, not for me or my family.
agreed. Those little things weren't blazers, they were s-10 blazers. The S-10 came first, they weren't blazer s-10s.

And before another person says its like this, but shorter than that, and wider than this, but longer than this... Here ya go..

---------- New Blazer ------------------- Traiblazer (2002-2009)
Wheelbase --- 112.7"-------------------------- 113"
Length (total)- 191.4" -------------------------191.8"
Width (max) -- 76.7" -------------------------- 74.6"
Front track ---- 66.2" -------------------------- 63.1"
Grnd Clearance 7.4" ---------------------------- 8"
HEIGHT ------- 67" ---------------------------- 72.5'
Curb weight --- 4,007lbs ------------------------ 4425 lbs (that is light).
engine ----(3.6) 305hp@6600/ 269lb-ft@5000 -- (4.2 I6) 275hp@6000/ 275lb-ft@3600

1500 lb max conventional trailering.... Get out of here with that crap. At least this "blazer" can almost tow an empty trailer, or 50% more than a 20 yr old honda accord. How about, almost half as much as a VW golf? I've got a better name that suits this car and they keep what they got... what about... the "Dingleblazer"? I see another lousy model that is overpriced, lacks any capabilities, and doesn't fit. I see this as them expecting just enough sales based off of stealing another well known model name, that shouldn't apply. Shame on you GM.

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually like the Blazer.. because while I definitely remember the K5s etc.. I remember the square headed and droopy faced S-10 Blazers of the 80s and 90s. They were not "iconic."

99-02_Chevrolet_Blazer_TrailBlazer.jpg

This new one is as someone else said, to appeal to a younger generation. A K5 type Full-sizer would be going into the $80K range. This new one barely makes it out of the $40Ks and it looks pretty slick. My 19 year old daughter saw it and out of the box says, "that's my next car, except in Blacked out. Looks like a Camaro truck. Cool" This is a very quick render of an RS turned into an SS. The guy turned the foglight cuts into brake coolers, gave it a lower stance by adding a larger wrap around spoiler set, blacked the mirrors, and added some Brembos or red brakes. Honestly, I swear if Chevy announced that a TTV6 (from XTS-VSport) was being put in this thing with 410HP/390ftlb I'd have a check cut and make it my new daily driver today. Hell I'm thinking of doing it even with just the 3.6L it has now

9y8xUkc.jpg

Ironically Chevy has been making a the K5 all along with the Tahoe.. just two extra doors.

I say to make it more authentic.. Go buy a Tahoe. Lift it. Put all terrains on. Viola. WAY BETTER than the old Blazer. Now rip out all the tech and just throw in a AudioVox radio U found at a yard sale. While U're at it... blow the airbags and then rip 'em all out..

OR.. just go buy a old Blazer

For the sake of SOME nostalgic people and their adherence to a past they never actually experienced, maybe Chevy should have called it TRAILBLAZER. But they didn't. They still can make a "Tahoe K5" inspired 2 door (or leave it 4 doors, I mean Dodge has a 4rd Charger) Tahoe Z71 with a factory lift and grabbers. Cause let's face it.. the TRUE ENTHUSIASTS who used to buy a vehicle, warranty be damned, and make it what they want are dead.The reality of things is that people are scared to kill a warranty and even if they weren't.. many are just lacking the know how of changing shocks, let along lifting and fortifying an SUV for off-road prowess.

This guy GETS IT. I wish GM did. I'm thinking about doing this to my Yukon now that the warranty is almost done.

Chevy+Tahoe+Black+Widow+Satin+Steel.jpg

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The days of the k5 as you remember it are gone. Most people are not and never will rock climb with their Tahoe’s etc. they never did it with k5’s or s10’s either. People like the refinements of the modern versions of the old names.
I think the next version of Tahoe’s will be less off road capable than the current version of Tahoe’s.

Just a sign of the way things are

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The days of the k5 as you remember it are gone. Most people are not and never will rock climb with their Tahoe’s etc. they never did it with k5’s or s10’s either. People like the refinements of the modern versions of the old names.
I think the next version of Tahoe’s will be less off road capable than the current version of Tahoe’s.

Just a sign of the way things are

Considering what I'm seeing in the new Silvy and Sierra.. I think the next Tahoe is gonna be quite awesome in many respects. U may even see that Off-Road version.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering what I'm seeing in the new Silvy and Sierra.. I think the next Tahoe is gonna be quite awesome in many respects. U may even see that Off-Road version.

After seeing a new Silverado I got the impression that not much was going to change. Now you’ve got me thinking about the suburban they’re building for me now.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing a new Silverado I got the impression that not much was going to change. Now you’ve got me thinking about the suburban they’re building for me now.

When are the last 2019’s coming off the line? Gotta believe they will need to start retooling pretty soon?

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When are the last 2019’s coming off the line? Gotta believe they will need to start retooling pretty soon?

Don’t know but premiers have been on constraint for a month now. I ordered a premier burb in nov and got a build date of this week

This happened to me once before, I got stuck with an 07 after trying to get an 06

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually like the Blazer.. because while I definitely remember the K5s etc.. I remember the square headed and droopy faced S-10 Blazers of the 80s and 90s. They were not "iconic."

This new one is as someone else said, to appeal to a younger generation. A K5 type Full-sizer would be going into the $80K range. This new one barely makes it out of the $40Ks and it looks pretty slick. My 19 year old daughter saw it and out of the box says, "that's my next car, except in Blacked out. Looks like a Camaro truck. Cool" This is a very quick render of an RS turned into an SS. The guy turned the foglight cuts into brake coolers, gave it a lower stance by adding a larger wrap around spoiler set, blacked the mirrors, and added some Brembos or red brakes. Honestly, I swear if Chevy announced that a TTV6 (from XTS-VSport) was being put in this thing with 410HP/390ftlb I'd have a check cut and make it my new daily driver today. Hell I'm thinking of doing it even with just the 3.6L it has now

Ironically Chevy has been making a the K5 all along with the Tahoe.. just two extra doors.

I say to make it more authentic.. Go buy a Tahoe. Lift it. Put all terrains on. Viola. WAY BETTER than the old Blazer. Now rip out all the tech and just throw in a AudioVox radio U found at a yard sale. While U're at it... blow the airbags and then rip 'em all out..

OR.. just go buy a old Blazer

For the sake of SOME nostalgic people and their adherence to a past they never actually experienced, maybe Chevy should have called it TRAILBLAZER. But they didn't. They still can make a "Tahoe K5" inspired 2 door (or leave it 4 doors, I mean Dodge has a 4rd Charger) Tahoe Z71 with a factory lift and grabbers. Cause let's face it.. the TRUE ENTHUSIASTS who used to buy a vehicle, warranty be damned, and make it what they want are dead.The reality of things is that people are scared to kill a warranty and even if they weren't.. many are just lacking the know how of changing shocks, let along lifting and fortifying an SUV for off-road prowess.

This guy GETS IT. I wish GM did. I'm thinking about doing this to my Yukon now that the warranty is almost done.

Where do you get $80K to make it RWD and full size? If a burban is $50K- $65K, and a Tahoe is $48K- $62, wouldn't realistically it be about $45-$60K??

A $42K one of these is supposed to appeal to younger gen? That doesn't make sense to me, because then why would they bring back the old name they haven't used in 15 years that's more expensive than the model bigger and smaller than it? I see this as the buyer who: has slowed down some, but still wears beach shorts to the grocery store when they are 500 miles in land. I'm thinking; the 50 yr old dentist who wears a toupee and his SSR doesn't have enough room for his 30 year old that still lives with him, and his 30 year old's wife and kid.

I get its too many similar models, but they should have made a SSWB full size 4 door. The size of the old full size 2dr in a 4 door. For me, I want that in a 72.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does the new Blazer front end look like a Toylex, and those designers probably spent too much time watching the original Battlestar Galactica with the design of the Ceylons. I too wondered what was GM thinking with this vehicle. It really did not need another Crossover model and word is that is really for the overseas markets as a Traverse would not be sold in those markets never mind a Tahoe or Suburban. In the Aussie market they only recently got the Downsized Acadia and they are trumpeting it as a Super Size SUV. Go Figure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645