Neverending brake issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddtheLegend

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So this has been a month long ordeal. Lost front and rear brake lines. Ordered a ni-copp kit. After some necessary rerouting of the right front line and bypassing the upper junction in the rear all lines are installed and no leaks. Bled the master cylinder, abs pump and all four corners. Solid lines of fluid while bleeding. Things seem to be fine but nope, pedal won't firm up. The only other thing I can think of is the master cylinder. I'll be installing that tomorrow and bleeding it all again. Is there something I missed? I'd rather not have to expose the system yet again if I don't have to.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you say, "bled the m/c, abs pump and all 4 corners, please describe in detail how that process was done. Someone inside pumping brakes or did you use an air bleeder?

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Always start with the bleeder that is the farthest from master and work your way closer. Right rear, left rear, right front, left front.
What does rerouting of the right front line and bypassing upper junction in rear mean?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With the two person method, there is a chance of damaging the internal cup seal that pushes fluid. If the person inside let the pedal get too close to floor when you opened the bleeder, that is maybe the problem. I always use a section of 2x4 and put it under the pedal so it does not travel that far. Using an air bleeder for that stops that from happening.

OP
OP
reddtheLegend

reddtheLegend

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Because of where the truck is in my garage I couldn't route the right front line where the old line is. Had to run it along the bulkhead. With the rear lines there's upper and lower brackets. The upper bracket is a pain to get to so I got new rubber lines to connect to the hard lines, bypassing the upper bracket (hope it's not sounding too confusing).

slowrider2004

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So this has been a month long ordeal. Lost front and rear brake lines. Ordered a ni-copp kit. After some necessary rerouting of the right front line and bypassing the upper junction in the rear all lines are installed and no leaks. Bled the master cylinder, abs pump and all four corners. Solid lines of fluid while bleeding. Things seem to be fine but nope, pedal won't firm up. The only other thing I can think of is the master cylinder. I'll be installing that tomorrow and bleeding it all again. Is there something I missed? I'd rather not have to expose the system yet again if I don't have to.
How did it go? I am a newbie to Tahoe vehicles and purchased a 2004 that claimed to need rear brake lines. The lines arrived yesterday and I have it up on blocks. Crawled under it today and cannot find any evidence of a leak so I am sure this is going to be an adventure.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon, @slowrider2004.

To get better looks at your possible problem and to post where other members will look for it, I would post this in, I am going to assume you have a 2004 because of screen name and you did not post any vehicle info, the 2000-2006 section in the Engine & Drivetrain spot. Maybe an admin or mod can move this or you just start fresh with a new post about this.

OP
OP
reddtheLegend

reddtheLegend

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a motive power bleeder. Had it on the road in about 30 minutes. Good luck bleeding the 2 person way. If you bought a steel line kit you won't be able to do what I did in the rear since that won't hand bend like the ni-copp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt