Need some opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marbor

Reaction score
20200527_181553.jpg So I have 97 lt 5.7 4dr tahoe I have 2 questions that maybe you all can help me out with.

1, front bumper replacement should I toss on a chrome one or will it throw off the look? Any ideas on getting a replacement similar to my current one?

2, I'm thinking of removing the side step and wheel flares to bring it back to a natural tahoe.

I belive this was added on when the original owner converted it with a geneva package

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 99 Tahoe 4X4 LT 5.7 with the pick-up tail gate. It was silver, although the dealer called it Plenthium, and I put Smittybuilt side bars on it. I don't like the side flares or running boards. The running boards are the only thing I hate about my 2012 Yukon SLE 5.3. They just collect all sorts of road debris & dirt. What a pain in the ass! The only other thing was the window shields. They allowed me to lower my windows a tad to let fresh air in when parked, usually under a tree. I tried to find a pic of her but alas no more. Basically, I like to keep my rides simple and not too much flare or fancy stuff. Makes it attractive, but not so much as to attract thieves. If it looks too good they want it or know someone that does.

As for the front bumper I would look around a scrap yard first, but if you're into the steel tubular bumpers they are a good choice too. I kept my Tahoe original with the shock absorbing mounts. Came in handy quite a few times, especially when I was teaching my daughter to drive. Her mother was a completely different story. But surf the web or even this forum as I've seen some really hot, elegant, sophisticated rides here. Good luck & welcome to TY Forum!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would lose the wheel flares and the side steps. As an owner of a Z71, I like the painted bumper look. Ultimately though, you have to please yourself and your family with whatever decision you make.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is the existing bumper still under there? Kind of looks like a shell with a lot of room under it, so I was wondering if it is just a cap.

Yea, does stick right out there, doesn't it. Like a pissed off person sticking their chin out.

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
Lol on the above. That is a shell but the bumper under it seems to be bare. Also looking to keep the fog lights as well.

Anyone know a site we're I can find a similar bumper

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lose the flares and steps keep the bumper. you would have to buy a new replacement primered bumper and have it painted. they are painted to match the vehicle they weren't all black. anyway the flares look wierd when the tire is sunk into the wheel well that much.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20181031_171834.jpg
chrome bumper without the lower valence trim. i do recommend these headlights tho. really made the front pop and the lighting difference was huge. this particular brand was anzo on the pricier side but the color was a perfect match on a black tahoe. lol aside from the hood the rest was black.

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
View attachment 271269
chrome bumper without the lower valence trim. i do recommend these headlights tho. really made the front pop and the lighting difference was huge. this particular brand was anzo on the pricier side but the color was a perfect match on a black tahoe. lol aside from the hood the rest was black.
Thanks and nice rig and sportster

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks and nice rig and sportster
sadly i sold the truck last year to a friend who needed a vehicle. still haven't gotten to ride that bike outside of my driveway. stuff happened and it sat just needs a new battery and a rear tire and i should be on it this riding season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec