Need some help troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slade95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
97 two door 4wd 5.7L- Replaced fuel pump and have correct fuel pressure. Did a continuity test on all grounds I could find. Everything that I found to check is testing good. Truck cranks up then idles down and dies immediately. Kinda stumped! Appreciate any help!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is good on battery and alternator side of things?
Sometimes the electrical system can act weird if not getting proper power to the computer controlling the engine. Just looking to see if something can be ruled out as having any involvement with your issue...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any work other than the fuel pump done lately, and was that changed due to this problem? How long has it been going on? Can you share more history? Miles?

Does it have a fuel filter and, if so, when was it last changed?

Can you keep it running using the accelerator?

If it runs for more than a second or two, but dies when it warms up and gets to commanded idle, look for a vacuum leak. With a scanner check short-fuel trims at idle (you may have to hold the rpms with the pedal, if you can), then at 1500 rpm. Compare and post them up.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the Idle Air Control, may be a replace.
Do you have a factory tach? Does RPM bounce around occasionally? say 50-150 RPM when cruising along. That would point to failing CPS.
I suggest setting some recording of selected PIDS to narrow your searches for a solution. I don't know what you have for tools/equpment, or vehicle history. Please post more info for more help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Correct fuel pressure when? Why was pump replaced and was filter done at same time? Same problem before the pump replacement? Fuel pressure during the whole start run process? Brand of fuel pump?

By the way, welcome to the forum. I hope you are not only here for help and will remain a contributing member.

OP
OP
S

Slade95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How long does it run? If only for a second, then it might be the security feature that disables the fuel injectors.
Correct fuel pressure when? Why was pump replaced and was filter done at same time? Same problem before the pump replacement? Fuel pressure during the whole start run process? Brand of fuel pump?

By the way, welcome to the forum. I hope you are not only here for help and will remain a contributing member.
Fuel pump replaced because truck sat for a long time and the pump was no good. Truck would not start at all with old fuel pump. Yes pressure at all times. even with fuel pump jumped out It’ll die.

OP
OP
S

Slade95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Clean the Idle Air Control, may be a replace.
Do you have a factory tach? Does RPM bounce around occasionally? say 50-150 RPM when cruising along. That would point to failing CPS.
I suggest setting some recording of selected PIDS to narrow your searches for a solution. I don't know what you have for tools/equpment, or vehicle history. Please post more info for more help.
It won’t stay running long enough to drive. It’ll crank idle down an run 3 seconds or less then die down.

OP
OP
S

Slade95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any work other than the fuel pump done lately, and was that changed due to this problem? How long has it been going on? Can you share more history? Miles?

Does it have a fuel filter and, if so, when was it last changed?

Can you keep it running using the accelerator?

If it runs for more than a second or two, but dies when it warms up and gets to commanded idle, look for a vacuum leak. With a scanner check short-fuel trims at idle (you may have to hold the rpms with the pedal, if you can), then at 1500 rpm. Compare and post them up.
Fuel filter changed with fuel pump. Have fuel pressure at fuel rail. Any gas given with accelerator it dies immediately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan