Need help on new setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m selling my 2 12” subs and amp to upgrade to something with a little less bass but that will sound much cleaner. So right now I have some ****** door speakers, and I was thinking about getting 6.5” midbass woofers and plugging the stock tweeters back in and bypassing the factory amp and run it just off power from the head unit. Then I have an old amp and my old 8” sub from before I got the 12s and was thinking about putting the amp in that little compartment in the back and having the 8” in the stock location. So that’s what I thought up, please let me know if it can/cannot be done and add anything that I would need to do. I did read that I would need crossovers if I want to run 6.5” midbass woofers, is this true? Thanks in advance

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those earthquakes you posted will not sound good without A, an enclosure and B, proper power and x-over points.

Better off buying a set of mid-level 6.5" components and adding an amp to them. You can fit a 10 in the rear factory sub location and build your own enclosure or run an JL or Kicker 8 in the oem enclosure. Even an MB Quart shallow 8 would sound good

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need corssovers for the mid bass. Others wise you would be feeding highs into it, which will not sound good. Not sure how much your looking to spend. But for the doors I went Component route which is basically what ur doing but it already comes with the crossover and all. As for the sub I got this 10' pioneer (link below) and was able to fit it in the stock sub box that came with the tahoe. I just had to modify it a little since the stock box is for a 8 not a 10, but after a little dremeling it sits flush and its Sounds clean and hit hard (for a 10 shallow sub, My last setup had three 12's so was impressed with the 10). The sub is a shallow sub so it does not require alot of internal space. Also is it a stock head unit or after market u are using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K98535A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need corssovers for the mid bass. Others wise you would be feeding highs into it, which will not sound good. Not sure how much your looking to spend. But for the doors I went Component route which is basically what ur doing but it already comes with the crossover and all. As for the sub I got this 10' pioneer (link below) and was able to fit it in the stock sub box that came with the tahoe. I just had to modify it a little since the stock box is for a 8 not a 10, but after a little dremeling it sits flush and its Sounds clean and hit hard (for a 10 shallow sub, My last setup had three 12's so was impressed with the 10). The sub is a shallow sub so it does not require alot of internal space. Also is it a stock head unit or after market u are using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K98535A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I actually have the 8” version of that and was thinking of powering with a spare amp I have and putting it in the stock location. And it’s an aftermarket head unit, 14 Watts rms X 4 channels. Are your components powered by just the head unit or an amp

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those earthquakes you posted will not sound good without A, an enclosure and B, proper power and x-over points.

Better off buying a set of mid-level 6.5" components and adding an amp to them. You can fit a 10 in the rear factory sub location and build your own enclosure or run an JL or Kicker 8 in the oem enclosure. Even an MB Quart shallow 8 would sound good
How good would a sub sound in the stock enclosure? I have a spare amp and an 8” pioneer ts-sw2002ds. As for the components, how would components sound powered by just the head unit. As for those “subs” they are pretty much midbass speakers and I was thinking of putting them in the back doors and using these fast foam things (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...smid=A232DEXWNE9181&psc=1#nav-search-keywords) as a sound deader and running them off a 4 channel amp and putting my 8” to that same 4 channel amp and putting 2 ways in the front powered by the head unit. What do you think of that?

Last edited:

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sub will work fine with the stock enclosure just might have to modify the mounting holes. The stock box from last time I remember internal volume was something like .5 or .6 which more then enough for the sub. As long as you get a good seal and a proper amp and wired correctly you should be happy with sound. As for the components they are powered by an 4 channel amp I had sitting around.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sub will work fine with the stock enclosure just might have to modify the mounting holes. The stock box from last time I remember internal volume was something like .5 or .6 which more then enough for the sub. As long as you get a good seal and a proper amp and wired correctly you should be happy with sound. As for the components they are powered by an 4 channel amp I had sitting around.
I had the sub in before so it has mounting holes and everything. Is it possible to run 2 speakers and a sub on a 4 channel amp?

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no, It all depends on the amp, speakers, and how your wire it. Usually not recommended but in the end just depends what ohms the amp can handle and how you wire everything. I have my sub wired to 2 ohm so its what allows the sub to hit harder

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no, It all depends on the amp, speakers, and how your wire it. Usually not recommended but in the end just depends what ohms the amp can handle and how you wire everything. I have my sub wired to 2 ohm so its what allows the sub to hit harder
I just don’t want to have 2 amps I don’t know if the truck can handle that

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the set up you are trying to install. What model speaker,amp,radio,sub, and what guage wiring do you have going to the amp?