Need help on leveling kit choice and tire size please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the forums but super excited to be here finally! I just became the proud owner of a brand new 2016 Tahoe LTZ last week (pics attached). It's such an awesome ride. I still can't believe I finally found the one I wanted with all the options. Definitely worth the wait and 12 hour drive to go get it!

I've done a few small upgrades to it in the first week of owning it. 18% tinted windows all the way around, wrapped the gold bow ties in black, weathertechs, etc. Now it's time for the leveling kit and remove the factory 22's for custom 20's and new AT tires. I've spent a few days reading every post here by others on what leveling kits and tire size they are running. Overwhelmed with knowledge at this point, I still have a few questions based on my current setup and what I want to do, so here it goes. Hopefully this helps recap a lot of the other posts and serve as a quick update for new comers searching for the same things as me down the road.

I have magnetic ride control, max trailering package, and retractable running boards. No air ride that I can tell. It seems like if I do a 2" leveling kit on the front only, 285/55r20 is the best choice in tire size w/o having to do (any?) trimming? Will the retractable running boards impact me with additional rubbing? I haven't seen a lot of posts with those running boards and tire size with 2" up front.

I've also been told by the local off-road installer that if I do a 2" up front only, it will sit nose high and they suggest doing a 1" in the rear as well. Seems like this isn't true based on what others are reporting with 2" up front only though? They are suggesting to use the Pro Comp leveling kit that they carry.

I've been running Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my other ride for a number of years and love the mileage and performance I've gotten out of them (80k miles on first set, at 20k on 2nd so far). Wanting to move to the new Ridge Grappler's now though for more aggressive look, they don't carry 285s, and I would have to move up to a 295/55r20 which seems to introduce a lot more rubbing and trimming needed (and possibly issues with the retractable step bars?) if I only did 2" up front.

If I chose to do 2.5" up front and 1" in the rear would the 295/55r20 work OK w/o a lot of rubbing, beating and trimming? Could I move further to a 305 or 33x12.50 and not have to spend time beating up the truck for fitment and clearance too bad?

Last, what's everyone's thoughts now on the right leveling kit to use. It seems like Pro Comp, Rough Country and Suspension Maxx are the top rated ones? The materials used differ a bit it seems. Any of them offer more durability based on materials? And finally, if I go beyond 2" up front, deal with relocating the MRC sensors during install and do the rear lift as well, does this put any additional strain on the differential or other parts vs just doing 2" up front.

Sorry for the long post but I'm swamped with questions and ready to pull the trigger on the right kit, rims and tires. I'll also have the 22's for sale as soon as I get this done if anyone is interested in them. They have less than 1k miles on them at the moment.

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get this up in the air some and new shoes on it!

IMG_20170202_144218.jpg IMG_20170202_144211.jpg

Jorgez28

Reaction score
Don't know about the tire size but I got the suspensionmaxx adjustable with the brackets for the magnaride. Turned out great and the nose is level not higher. I chose this kit because I wanted the brackets to relocate the magnaride rod

Dark Star

Reaction score
IMG_0297.JPG

^Nitto ridge grapplers 295/55R20, XD811, Suspension Max

No rub with the 295's. Went 2" in the front (kit is adjustable from 1"-2 1/2") and 1 1/2" in the rear. Magnetic ride is set by an adjustable spacer. Sits slightly nose down which I wanted. Didn't want to sit nose high when fully loaded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cireallin

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad ass! Thanks so much for sharing. Looks like we have identical tastes :) Anyone know if there are any clearance differences between a Yukon and Tahoe?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cireallin

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Suspension Maxx adjustable front kit. I'm still unsure which rear kit to get though, 1" vs 1.5". If I went 2" in the front for the 295/55r20s, it seems like 1.5" may be too much since others seem to be running 2" front only to level it properly. Is it safe to say the 1.5" is only necessary when you go 2.25 or 2.5" up front?

My thoughts were to try 2" up front with the 295s during install and 1" in rear but if I have to adjust and go above 2" due to rubbing, I'll need to have a 1.5" ready to install and hopefully return the other. Anyone got thoughts on what rear spacer to get for 2"? I'd rather be slightly nose down but not 1-1.5" down if I can help it. HELP!?!?! :)

Dark Star

Reaction score
Don't over think it unless you really think will notice a 1/2" difference.

OP
OP
cireallin

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just thought I'd share the results of my build today! 2.5/1.5 SuspensionMaxx, 20x9 Helo HE901 black/machined dark tint, 295/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Corsa exhaust with black tips. No trimming or rubbing. She's sitting perfect now. Doing PPV front fascia replacement next week and then she should be good to go for a minute.

Factory 22s with ~1200 miles in mint condition for sale. And stock OEM fascia. :)

Thank you everyone who helped and those who have shared information over the years. So grateful right now. 1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_20170223_165841.jpg IMG_20170223_165847.jpg IMG_20170223_165921.jpg

Dark Star

Reaction score
Bad Ass! Love those rims! Nice tire choice too

How do like the sound of the Corsa? I ordered a magnaflow last week hoping it sounds as good as my Calloway did.

OP
OP
cireallin

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad Ass! Love those rims! Nice tire choice too

How do like the sound of the Corsa? I ordered a magnaflow last week hoping it sounds as good as my Calloway did.
Thanks man. I love it. Listened to a few others online and this one was the sound I wanted. Throaty on cold start, loud outside when you get on it and inside the cab isn't over bearing. Nothing bad to say about it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk