My “new” 05 - updates, upgrades and service plans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05TahoeinLA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
B11854BA-70EC-4CEB-925D-AB8F525172AA.jpeg332DB856-DA9A-4EF1-95F5-3DEF3C0AF9E0.jpeg

Going to use this as my daily for a few years, currently at 194,000 miles.

Bought from the original owner, who I know. Used by his wife as a daily driver, no towing (no hitch!).

Happening this week:
Install trailer hitch and wiring
New tires and TPMS sensors
May remove the running boards

Probably soon:
Floor liners - weathertech or similar
Shocks - Bilstein 4600s or 5100s, still deciding
Replace rear springs with Moog 81071 (standard load 1040 lb and height) - has nivomats that don't feel bad though
Front jounce bumpers
Evaluate wear and tear on steering and the rest of the suspension - replace what is needed
Alignment
New stereo with apply car play - probably a Sony XAV 3200 once they are in stock

Hoping to have a very reliable vehicle for years to come and enjoying the forum. She's a little squishy riding, would like to tighten it up a bit.

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

ratled

Reaction score
Having just got mine a few months ago, and based on your mileage, might I suggest a 100k service. Looking forward to hearing the progress!

ratled

OP
OP

05TahoeinLA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The previous owner was fastidious, but I was thinking a 100,000 mile service world be appropriate. Thx!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right there with me on mileage (I have an 04). I had to replace a shaky inner tie rod to pass my initial RMV safety inspection.

My upper control arms clunk a bit here and there. A little annoying on bumps while taking corners, but my mechanic said I didn't need to panic. I'll be replacing at some point, but not until warmer weather comes.

But just this week, one of the front stabilizer bar connector links snapped.
They don't call New England the rust belt for nothin'!

Just some thoughts on things to hook the peepers on, while you are crawling around doing other work...

OP
OP

05TahoeinLA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Installed the hitch wiring connector today. Use a holesaw to mount it in the bumper, instead of letting it hang underneath and look like an add-on.

Put new driver's side seat foam in - what a difference for $70!!!

Also installed the front Bilstein 4600s and all 4 jounce bumpers. Rear shocks and springs will go in sometime in the next week - waiting on the shocks to arrive.

OP
OP

05TahoeinLA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agreed, fix it. Dont let it leave you stranded. I tend to use OEM parts too.

There's a check engine light on for the evap system. Will investigate that tomorrow. Hoping for an easy fix.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The evap system will give you fits. I have read many threads where members replaced 1 or 2 parts and then they still have an evap code come up. I did my new fuel pump and while was apart, replaced the entire evap system. No problems.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sqiushy may also be tires, a soft sidewall passenger rated tire on a heavy suv will give you that. although should make it ride quite smooth otherwise. if your not used to these then it may just be the nature of the beast that you have to get used to, or do other things like heavier rated tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep