My “new” 05 - updates, upgrades and service plans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 also that I just brought out of retirement. She has 171K on it. I've owned it since around 40k. Identical to yours. Just recently I ditched the Nivomat rear shocks and went with the Bilstein ZW7 conversion kit. Huge improvement. Looking at sound system options. Unfortunately the Bose system (which I hate) makes this simple decision difficult. We have the dreaded "slow fueling" issue. I've been trouble shooting this for a few weeks now. I, like many others have found charcoal bits from the broke down evap canister in my tank vent lines. We've slowly but surely been getting those free and out of the lines. Fueling seems to get a little better every time. Yesterday I blew a good amount of them out. Haven't got fuel yet, but I'm hoping it helped. Once I get that solved I guess I'll replace the canister. Also chasing a small oil leak. I replaced the oil pan gasket last week and of course the o ring on the oil pickup tube (an absolute must on these GM vehicles). Truck was starting to show lower than normal oil pressure on cold start. Now that I changed that O ring she's back to 60psi at idle when cold.

I would recommend checking the power steering fluid. I would also get in the habit of sucking out the old and replacing with new every oil change or so. These trucks have hydroboost so basically the steering and brakes receive power from the power steering pump. Just a couple of weeks ago for just a second we lost power steering and brakes. I had no idea at the time what hydroboost even was. After researching it, I sucked all of the fluid out of the reservoir, twice. Both times it was pretty dark. But both time I did it, we noticed the steering and brakes both felt a little better. However, we didn't know it felt "off" to begin with.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have an '05 also that I just brought out of retirement. She has 171K on it. I've owned it since around 40k. Identical to yours. Just recently I ditched the Nivomat rear shocks and went with the Bilstein ZW7 conversion kit. Huge improvement. Looking at sound system options. Unfortunately the Bose system (which I hate) makes this simple decision difficult. We have the dreaded "slow fueling" issue. I've been trouble shooting this for a few weeks now. I, like many others have found charcoal bits from the broke down evap canister in my tank vent lines. We've slowly but surely been getting those free and out of the lines. Fueling seems to get a little better every time. Yesterday I blew a good amount of them out. Haven't got fuel yet, but I'm hoping it helped. Once I get that solved I guess I'll replace the canister. Also chasing a small oil leak. I replaced the oil pan gasket last week and of course the o ring on the oil pickup tube (an absolute must on these GM vehicles). Truck was starting to show lower than normal oil pressure on cold start. Now that I changed that O ring she's back to 60psi at idle when cold.

I would recommend checking the power steering fluid. I would also get in the habit of sucking out the old and replacing with new every oil change or so. These trucks have hydroboost so basically the steering and brakes receive power from the power steering pump. Just a couple of weeks ago for just a second we lost power steering and brakes. I had no idea at the time what hydroboost even was. After researching it, I sucked all of the fluid out of the reservoir, twice. Both times it was pretty dark. But both time I did it, we noticed the steering and brakes both felt a little better. However, we didn't know it felt "off" to begin with.
What did the Nivomat conversion consist of? Heavier rear springs I'm assuming. Which shocks did you get?

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did the Nivomat conversion consist of? Heavier rear springs I'm assuming. Which shocks did you get?
Its the 4600 front/ rear and stiffer spring...

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. I have just begun a restoration of my '03 Tahoe. I'm starting with a paint job, but planning to continue with interior next. I will be following yours for updates.

One thing to suggest. Check your roof for rust under the roof rack mounts. If I had not been getting the paint job, one spot would soon have rusted through and I would have water coming inside. See my post on page 2 (link below) for pics and a note of caution when removing the racks. If you have rust starting, you could make a repair to prevent the leak. The repair wouldn't have to be pretty because the spots are hidden under the rook rack mounting feet.

Link - https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/new-to-forum-fixing-up-my-03-tahoe.131033/page-2

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Its the 4600 front/ rear and stiffer spring...

Deleted mine also with the 4600's, but used lowering springs in the rear.

29tomt

Reaction score
Like MO Vietvet said, evap system will give you fits. I had my mechanic replace the entire system after screwing around with it and that includes the GM wiring harness that goes with it. Problem solved.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That evap canister..... I "assumed" my entire vent system was serviced last year.. Still, once in a while my fuel filling still stops ..... Hm...... That evap canister.....

Other than that, my '05 Yukon XL has been great...... 160,000 miles.
I did flush transmission & brake fluids last year ( zero issues after)..... Upgraded front brakes to Powerstop & S.S. brake lines.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That evap canister..... I "assumed" my entire vent system was serviced last year.. Still, once in a while my fuel filling still stops ..... Hm...... That evap canister.....

Other than that, my '05 Yukon XL has been great...... 160,000 miles.
I did flush transmission & brake fluids last year ( zero issues after)..... Upgraded front brakes to Powerstop & S.S. brake lines.

What kind of "service" was done?

Generally if one doesn't overfill the fuel tank, the canister won't get compromised. The less reliable part of the system is the canister vent valve, due to dirt getting in and clogging the vent's filter, or the valve itself sticking closed. It should be open with the ignition off (like while fuel is being added).

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of "service" was done?

Generally if one doesn't overfill the fuel tank, the canister won't get compromised. The less reliable part of the system is the canister vent valve, due to dirt getting in and clogging the vent's filter, or the valve itself sticking closed. It should be open with the ignition off (like while fuel is being added).
Where is it located on my '05 ??

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where is it located on my '05 ??

Mine is Flex Fuel so if your isn't, the evap system may be somewhat different. Here's a pic of mine, looking from the rear with the fuel tank removed. Vent valve is in the red circle.

2019-10-27 Tahoe underneath no fuel tank_resized.jpg

Yours is probably the newer, round one with the external filter:

1643686511100.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins

Latest posts