MOTOR MOUNT REPLACED - required a unique MVP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share I dived into this job this weekend and though it says it takes 2 hours, it took me about 4 hours. What a PITA. It definitely gets easier the more you do it. I was this close to getting it done but when the cheapest job I could find was $300 for labor, I figured it was worth doing the job even if it took me the entire day because I wouldnt make that much in one day anyway.

I started process same way as most by removing 3 bolts from top of engine b ay holding mount to body and peeled back the fender well, took driver wheel off. Cut like 5 pieces of slim MDF wood and used to help jack engine from oil pan. Took the skid pad off and was able to see and access mount from 3 different points (skid pad area, fender, and top of engine). Even though I had better access, my big hands and big body had a lot of trouble getting these bolts off. I had to rely on my 5'2" wifey to go in and help get ratchets on those 4 bolts holding mount to truck, she is the real MVP.

After getting the mount fully loose, I had trouble pulling it out the car. I tried to remove the steering carrier thing but even though I could get the 2 bolts off, i didnt know how to remove. I could slide it up and down a little but couldnt remove. I ended up taking off the 2 bolts on mount that keep it all together and took off piece by piece from the fender side. I bought an Anchor mount for super cheap on Amazon and put back in a safe place near where it would install and pieced it together there. Took a moment just to make sure i put it together properly.

Install was much easier than removal. Only thing I removed was wheel and fender and there was a clip I think holding a harness in place which I had to pop off. Here is to hoping this mount lasts long or atleast a better mount is available when this goes bad.

My old mount was cracked on the rubber

Initial concerns that so far turned out to be nothing:

1) when I jacked the engine, the coolant was leaking a little bit but no leaks after

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) when I jacked the engine, the coolant was leaking a little bit but no leaks after

The only coolant leak point I can think of that would be affected by moving the engine around would be a hose connection, either radiator or heater hose, but more likely a radiator hose. Check the connections and clamps.

Also, are you sure it's coolant? The fluid in the mounts that leaks out is a rusty orange color and looks very similar to DexCool.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only coolant leak point I can think of that would be affected by moving the engine around would be a hose connection, either radiator or heater hose, but more likely a radiator hose. Check the connections and clamps.

Also, are you sure it's coolant? The fluid in the mounts that leaks out is a rusty orange color and looks very similar to DexCool.

It smelled like coolant and was very clear, similar to when A/C is running and condensor leaks. Coolant fluid level looks good and dont see a leak anymore. A little while ago when I replaced one of the hose fittings on firewall for a coolant line, I had an issue with condensor dripping when A/C running for long period of time. I thought it was kind of normal though it seemed to be at a more rapid pace than I expected, though I never monitored before. I will check hoses again and monitor. But last I checked it wasnt leaking, atleast not when A/C off.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It smelled like coolant and was very clear, similar to when A/C is running and condensor leaks. Coolant fluid level looks good and dont see a leak anymore. A little while ago when I replaced one of the hose fittings on firewall for a coolant line, I had an issue with condensor dripping when A/C running for long period of time. I thought it was kind of normal though it seemed to be at a more rapid pace than I expected, though I never monitored before. I will check hoses again and monitor. But last I checked it wasnt leaking, atleast not when A/C off.

Very likely it just leaked coolant by a hose connection. Glad you got it done. This repair seems to be a foregone step in GMT900 SUV ownership so welcome to the club.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I feel like I graduated. Motor mount and 8th cylinder spark plug got me my diploma lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We should have some "stripes" to earn for those that accomplish things such as this. Maybe have them under our avatar like the "Elite Member" banners. Have one for motor mount replaced, #8 spark plug (is that the hard one?) replaced, dash replaced, etc. They'd be awarded after that member successfully replaces those parts themselves.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We should have some "stripes" to earn for those that accomplish things such as this. Maybe have them under our avatar like the "Elite Member" banners. Have one for motor mount replaced, #8 spark plug (is that the hard one?) replaced, dash replaced, etc. They'd be awarded after that member successfully replaces those parts themselves.

Yeah, pointed at the dang firewall underneath all that A/C mess. I for real swapped 7 plug wires in 45 seconds and the last one took me 5-10 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts