Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bolt the heads on. The book I bought on this tells high level details, but have some finer questions...

When I ordered the head bolts I bought GM Performance Parts head bolt kit. ARP was a bit too pricey for me (although my LT1 got ARP back in the day). The guy at summit sold me a tube of bolt lube. I used the lube (VERY LITTLE BIT) on my rod bolts. Do I need to do the same on these head bolts? I see the head bolts also have some red paste on the end of them (some sort of locking compound?). I don't recall what I did 20 yrs ago when I built my LT1 o_O

Should I use bolt lube on the head bolts before I torque down?

View attachment 274660

Don't lube the factory head bolts and, yes, they have a dry thread locker on the end of them. I use a protractor to make a template and put marks on the heads around each bolt hole, one at "zero", one at 90° then one at 70° from that 90° mark. I do the initial torque to 22 ft. lbs., mark the head of the bolt at the "zero" mark, turn the bolts so the mark on the head meets the 90° mark, then finally to the 70° mark. This is on a Gen4. Gen 3 has slightly different specs. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-69#post-1455929

I do it this way because I put the heads on with the block mounted in the bay and the trans bell housing bolted up. Also, I torque the crank bolt with it on the stand. I use a breaker bar and socket and bounce my body weight on it, check the marks (I use the same method as the head bolts), turn it more, check the marks, etc. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-56#post-1428052

My stand is a plain Hazard Fraught piece, but it's bolted to a heavy duty square frame with large casters: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-51#post-1425131

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub good to know you also have the harbor freight stand. I got the $50 one. It seems okay but sometimes I wonder.

I have a torque to angle gauge but is kind of a POS. I better like marking off thr bolt head method. How I did it before the gauge. Thanks for tips!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bout had a heart attack. Went to put on odd side cylinder head. One of the bolts would not go in... I got to troubleshooting. Pulled out my bore scope. It was full of dirt and junk... Feeling a bit proud of myself for fixing it.

1. Sprayed carb cleaner in bolt holes.
2. Used a pipe brush to agitate dirt
3. cut notches in old headbolt. And threaded it in each hole.
4. Got a soda straw, attached it to shop vac, and sucked gabage out.

Took about an hour of fiddling around but got em super clean. Tightening rhe head bolts was a breeze :)

I used the sharpie method. No clue why I bout that dumb angle measure now haha... was way easier using shaprie.

Kind of excited and sad... I will be done with my build after a bit. It has been fun!fa7eae67fd6953e8ec2d058084cab89e.jpg251d1dfb5d2b7e3bad6067d25dbe6e3c.jpg0b780fef2f76904fac36c61f848eedc4.jpg09b8ab71d3c8e58970a4d052ac03f5cf.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't install ARP studs? OMG your head will lift under heavy boost!

No lube on head bolts. Those are twist bolts. One and done. The red stuff is locktight.

Won't be long now.....

Maybe TBSS manifold?
I have cathdral port heads, and not suresure will it work with the old fuel rail? Will it work with those two? I thought that it was designed for rectangular port heads.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBSS is cathedral, Cathedral RULES! (LOL)
But I didn't look .....you have an 01....return style fuel, as opposed to returnless on 03+
So Nevermind
Can be converted but get your truck running.
No worries, not much gain, more with bigger cams...Like +25
Headers I think are more important to you. +TQ means +MPG
I'm doing headers next so they are there when the big motor arrives.
Hopefully I can get all the exhaust bolts out....I need to pray on that one.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBSS is cathedral, Cathedral RULES! (LOL)
But I didn't look .....you have an 01....return style fuel, as opposed to returnless on 03+
So Nevermind
Can be converted but get your truck running.
No worries, not much gain, more with bigger cams...Like +25
Headers I think are more important to you. +TQ means +MPG
I'm doing headers next so they are there when the big motor arrives.
Hopefully I can get all the exhaust bolts out....I need to pray on that one.
I had a snapped off exhaust bolt in one of the heads I bought :( Shop took care of it for me.

I bought the doorman exhaust bolts apparently they don't snap as easy. Although if I had it to do over again I would by studya for exhauat manifold.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I measured all my pushrods. What a royal PITA. The LT1 I built didnt have these shaft mount style rockers. You could adjust each valve for preload very easily with just the rocker arm nut.

I have roger at vinci cams looking over the meausurements. I prefer to use one length pushrod. Maybe my measurements are off but that means some lifters will have very little preload.

Bit leary to order multiple lengths as honestly I don't feel confident in these little adjustable pushrods. I think would be very easy to get variations in measurements.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FMLx1000 :mad: More lifter hell.

I measured ALL my valves for zero lash point with rocker arms installed and lifters pumped up in heads. I'm hitting zero lash at 7.4649" Link HERE

I then add the 0.035" preload per Johnson Lifter Spec and getting a pushrod length of 7.495" (they come in increments of 5 thousands I believe).

Roger at Vinci cams says he's never sold a pushrod for a build like mine over 7.450". Although he's never used Johnson lifters before. Any ideas?

Notes:

My lifters are 2116LSR preload of 0.035" +/- 0.010" after speaking with Johnson Tech. I left Johnson Lifters a second message about this question but have not heard back yet.

By lifters pumped up I mean, I soaked in oil all day turning them several times to get air out. When I push down on lifter by hand with pushrod it's like a rock.

Head gasket is a Fel Pro per factory spec / LQ9 it compressed to 0.053"

Heads were resurfaced (I don't know how much) and all valves were ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo