Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FMLx1000 :mad: More lifter hell.

I measured ALL my valves for zero lash point with rocker arms installed and lifters pumped up in heads. I'm hitting zero lash at 7.4649" Link HERE

I then add the 0.035" preload per Johnson Lifter Spec and getting a pushrod length of 7.495" (they come in increments of 5 thousands I believe).

Roger at Vinci cams says he's never sold a pushrod for a build like mine over 7.450". Although he's never used Johnson lifters before. Any ideas?

Notes:

My lifters are 2116LSR preload of 0.035" +/- 0.010" after speaking with Johnson Tech. I left Johnson Lifters a second message about this question but have not heard back yet.

By lifters pumped up I mean, I soaked in oil all day turning them several times to get air out. When I push down on lifter by hand with pushrod it's like a rock.

Head gasket is a Fel Pro per factory spec / LQ9 it compressed to 0.053"

Heads were resurfaced (I don't know how much) and all valves were ground.

Rocker arms torqued to spec?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the seat might be farther down on these lifters. I cannot find any specs sheet or instruction manual for these 2116LSR lifters though. Somebody mentioned on LS1tech.com that they had to order longer pushrods to run them.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No just snug but off by 115 thousands on preload. Wish it *** that simple haha

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Not saying this is your issue, but you need to have the rockers torqued. Be sure the mating surfaces are 100% clean. My first time doing this, my numbers were way off and inconsistent. The trunnion bolts "snugged" up wasn't good enough.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah once all the rockers are torqued I roll the motor over a few times and verify the torque again for piece of mind

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out these lifters are shallower, requiring a longer pushrod. Three different people on LS1tech indicated that in their builds. I still don't like that I have nearly 14 thousands variance in my measurements though. I'd expected around 5 thousands due to used rocker arms (I validated that by measuring around a 1/3 of the rocker arms) and maybe a couple thousands more from the used lifters. I'd like to tighten those measurements up.

Not saying this is your issue, but you need to have the rockers torqued. Be sure the mating surfaces are 100% clean. My first time doing this, my numbers were way off and inconsistent. The trunnion bolts "snugged" up wasn't good enough.

No and kind of haha. I cleaned all the parts in a parts cleaner but they not have assembly lube on them. In various places. I wanted to take the plate off under the rockers and make sure it was clean again as well as base of the rockers.

Yeah once all the rockers are torqued I roll the motor over a few times and verify the torque again for piece of mind

I really wanted to do this to. I'd though easily a few thousands could be found from various components not being fully seated. Right now I have one valve that lies 1 thousanth out of spec for lifter. It would require a different length pushrod just for it. Problem is, I don't have any pushrods that fit. My factory ones are 115 thousands off what I need. I did try to take the old pushrods which are that 115 thousands off and still do that. I may go down to the parts store and buy just two pushrods and use those to roll motor over, then pull them out and check lash.

As for as torqueing bolts. I'd not torqued them. I had taken all slack out then went a 1/8th turn or so to seat the rocker arm I was checking. I then left all the other rockers finger tight. I think you're right, I need to torque all the rockers on the head to spec. I keep looking at that plate under the rockers and thinking it could be misaligned causing issue if not torqued to spec.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out these lifters are shallower, requiring a longer pushrod. Three different people on LS1tech indicated that in their builds. I still don't like that I have nearly 14 thousands variance in my measurements though. I'd expected around 5 thousands due to used rocker arms (I validated that by measuring around a 1/3 of the rocker arms) and maybe a couple thousands more from the used lifters. I'd like to tighten those measurements up.

No and kind of haha. I cleaned all the parts in a parts cleaner but they not have assembly lube on them. In various places. I wanted to take the plate off under the rockers and make sure it was clean again as well as base of the rockers.

I really wanted to do this to. I'd though easily a few thousands could be found from various components not being fully seated. Right now I have one valve that lies 1 thousanth out of spec for lifter. It would require a different length pushrod just for it. Problem is, I don't have any pushrods that fit. My factory ones are 115 thousands off what I need. I did try to take the old pushrods which are that 115 thousands off and still do that. I may go down to the parts store and buy just two pushrods and use those to roll motor over, then pull them out and check lash.

As for as torqueing bolts. I'd not torqued them. I had taken all slack out then went a 1/8th turn or so to seat the rocker arm I was checking. I then left all the other rockers finger tight. I think you're right, I need to torque all the rockers on the head to spec. I keep looking at that plate under the rockers and thinking it could be misaligned causing issue if not torqued to spec.

Also should have the head itself torqued to or nearly torqued to spec. Use an old gasket and the old bolts.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had done it with old head gaskets and bolts incase I had to pull lifters back out.

I have the head fully torqued to spec and with new head gaskets installed.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do rockers until the head, gaskets and block are all torqued together.

Then at that point you can measure for the correct push rod length

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heads are installed. Everything is torqued together. I just dont have pushrods. Is the last thing in my build.

Roger was concerned as he had never seen a longer pushrod than 7.450" I am getting 7.495"

Trying to track down a spec for 2116LSR lifters. Haven't found one to validate my measurements and tolerance of lifter (mine are used). Otherwise all I know is the pushrods should be longer for these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork