Migration from ACDelco TDS to GM Techline Connect for Tech 2 Users

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As you probably know, ACDelco TDS (TIS2Win) site for Service Programming Software (SPS) has been retired, effective September, and current subscription holders need to migrate to its replacement GM Techline Connect. Below, I offer you the process that I used to perform this migration. Any other folks out there who have already gone through this migration process, please chime in with your thoughts and perspectives.

=================

Converting from ACDelco TIS Web to GM Techline Connect

Log into ACDelco TIS Web (https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#), as you would normally do. Upon trying to log in, you may be required to enter a code generated by TIS Web and emailed to you, as an additional level of security. Once logged in, you will see a message that TIS Web has been retired, and you will be given the opportunity to download and install GM Techline Connect, its replacement. If you don't see a migration message, find your active Service Programming System subscription, and click on View. Then in the view, click on your truck’s displayed VIN, and you should see a button for 'Download Techline Connect'.

Download and install GM Techline Connect. Follow the directions on your screen, and this may take a while. Once complete, close all applications and re-boot your computer. Any new shortcuts created on your computer’s Desktop for GM Techline Connect will not work correctly for access to GM Techline Connect, so delete them.

Note: To successfully connect to GM Techline Connect, I need to temporarily disable my MalwareBytes Exploit Protection service first, each time.

To access GM Techline Connect, go to your original ACDelco TIS Web site and log in. Once logged, find your active Service Programming System subscription, and click on View. Then in the view, click on your truck’s displayed VIN, and you will automatically be connected to GM Techline Connect. The connection process takes a while, and there is a medium sized pop-up GUI that displays the progress status in connecting to GM Techline Connect. Sometimes this GUI gets buried under other open windows, so you may want to minimalize any open windows, during the connection process.

Once connected to GM Techline Connect, you may see a message that you do not have certain permissions, and just ignore this message, as it pertains to other subscriptions that you have not purchased.

===================

That was the good news. Now for the not-so-good news.

The not-so-good news is that GM Techline Connect is not Tech 2 user friendly, and you have to search around for the Tech 2 tool info (the site automatically defaults to MDI 1 and MDI 2 tools). Also, my experience so far is that you cannot re-program existing modules or program new modules in your truck with a Tech 2 through GM Techline Connect at this point in time. The connection simply does not work, either for tech 2 remote programming or for tech 2 in-line pass-thru programming.

I have had 2 lengthy calls, so far, with GM Techline Connect Support, and so far, they have not been able to come up with a resolution through GM Techline Connect for programming with a Tech 2. I needed to re-program my Electronic Suspension Control Module, and in order to do this, my GM Techline Connect Support Engineer had to obtain a 1 day subscription license from senior Support management for me to use the retired ACDelco TIS Web to complete this re-programming process.

This workaround comes with a restriction in that programming with the Tech 2 can only be performed in the Tech 2 in-line pass-thru mode. For some folks, this may not be an issue, but for me, my computer is not movable, and my truck is parked at least 75 feet from my computer. Fortunately, I was able to dig up a 100 foot data cable to accomplish this programming process.

Further, the GM Techline Connect Support Engineer escalated my issue to senior Support management, but he is not confident that they will make a permanent update to the GM Techline Connect site for Tech 2 users. Since, I have an existing subscription that states that Tech 2 tools are supported, they were obligated to get me that workaround using ACDelco TIS Web.

On a positive note, the GM Techline Connect Support Engineers are outstanding (having spent 20+ years in technical support at one point in my career, I feel that I am qualified to make this assessment). Each time, the GM Techline Connect Support Engineers spent over an hour with me, and they got me where I needed to go. If you need to contact GM Techline Connect Support, use the phone menu below to get to them. You can wait up to 20 minutes for an Engineer (well worth the wait), or you can also arrange for a callback from them. When talking to them, imply that 'you use your Tech 2 for your shop'.

Support Phone Line for GM Techline Connect

1-800-825-5886
Select 3
Select 2
Select 1
Select 2 (may have to listen a bit before being given the option to select 2)

I'll update this thread with additional experiences, as I progress through this new maze. Any comments from other folks are highly welcome.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As you probably know, ACDelco TDS (TIS2Win) site for Service Programming Software (SPS) has been retired, effective September, and current subscription holders need to migrate to its replacement GM Techline Connect. Below, I offer you the process that I used to perform this migration. Any other folks out there who have already gone through this migration process, please chime in with your thoughts and perspectives.

=================

Log into ACDelco TIS Web (https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#), as you would normally do. Upon trying to log in, you may be required to enter a code generated by TIS Web and emailed to you, as an additional level of security. Once logged in, you will see a message that TIS Web has been retired, and you will be given the opportunity to download and install GM Techline Connect, its replacement. If you don't see a migration message, find your active Service Programming System subscription, and click on View. Then in the view, click on your truck’s displayed VIN, and you should see a button for 'Download Techline Connect'.

Download and install GM Techline Connect. Follow the directions on your screen, and this may take a while. Once complete, close all applications and re-boot your computer. Any new shortcuts created on your computer’s Desktop for GM Techline Connect will not work correctly for access to GM Techline Connect, so delete them.

Note: To successfully connect to GM Techline Connect, I need to temporarily disable my MalwareBytes Exploit Protection service first, each time.

To access GM Techline Connect, go to your original ACDelco TIS Web site and log in. Once logged, find your active Service Programming System subscription, and click on View. Then in the view, click on your truck’s displayed VIN, and you will automatically be connected to GM Techline Connect. The connection process takes a while, and there is a medium sized pop-up GUI that displays the progress status in connecting to GM Techline Connect. Sometimes this GUI gets buried under other open windows, so you may want to minimalize any open windows, during the connection process.

Once connected to GM Techline Connect, you may see a message that you do not have certain permissions, and just ignore this message, as it pertains to other subscriptions that you have not purchased.

===================

The not-so-good news is that GM Techline Connect is not Tech 2 user friendly, and you have to search around for the Tech 2 tool info (the site automatically defaults to MDI 1 and MDI 2 tools). Also, my experience so far is that you cannot re-program existing modules or program new modules in your truck with a Tech 2 through GM Techline Connect at this point in time. The connection simply does not work, either for tech 2 remote programming or for tech 2 in-line pass-thru programming.

I have had 2 lengthy calls, so far, with GM Techline Connect Support, and so far, they have not been able to come up with a resolution through GM Techline Connect for programming with a Tech 2. I needed to re-program my Electronic Suspension Control Module, and in order to do this, my GM Techline Connect Support Engineer had to obtain a 1 day subscription license from senior Support management for me to use the retired ACDelco TIS Web to complete this re-programming process.

This workaround comes with a restriction in that programming with the Tech 2 can only be performed in the Tech 2 in-line pass-thru mode. For some folks, this may not be an issue, but for me, my computer is not movable, and my truck is parked at least 75 feet from my computer. Fortunately, I was able to dig up a 100 foot data cable to accomplish this programming process.

Further, the GM Techline Connect Support Engineer escalated my issue to senior Support management, but he is not confident that they will make a permanent update to the GM Techline Connect site for Tech 2 users. Since, I have an existing subscription that states that Tech 2 tools are supported, they were obligated to get me that workaround using ACDelco TIS Web.

On a positive note, the GM Techline Connect Support Engineers are outstanding (having spent 20+ years in technical support at one point in my career, I feel that I am qualified to make this assessment). Each time, the GM Techline Connect Support Engineers spent over an hour with me, and they got me where I needed to go. If you need to contact GM Techline Connect Support, use the phone menu below to get to them. You can wait up to 20 minutes for an Engineer (well worth the wait), or you can also arrange for a callback from them. When talking to them, imply that 'you use your Tech 2 for your shop'.

1-800-825-5886
Select 3
Select 2
Select 1

I'll update this thread with additional experiences, as I progress through this new maze. Any comments from other folks are highly welcome.
Joe, somehow this awesome post slipped by me! Thanks for posting it. Now I want to program something! hahaha

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the sequence of steps that I used to get to the Tech 2 tool screens, when using GM Techline Connect:

After logging into Techline Connect, this is the first screen that I see.

ScreenHunter_19 Oct. 24 11.14.jpg

I select my truck under the Recent Vehicles column, and then I see this screen, which shows me modern MDI-based tools, but not the Tech 2:

ScreenHunter_20 Oct. 24 11.19.jpg

I click on Cancel, and I see this screen:

ScreenHunter_21 Oct. 24 11.20.jpg

If clicking on Cancel does not produce this screen above, then click on the SPS2 tab at the upper left of the screen.

I click on Manually Select Tool, and I see this screen:

ScreenHunter_22 Oct. 24 11.22.jpg

At this point, the Tech 2 needs to be connected to my computer (If I were doing an actual project, I would also have to connect the Tech 2 to the truck at this time). I connect my Tech 2 to my computer, select Tech 2 Legacy Pass-thru and and Reprogram (or Replace and Reprogram, depending on your situation). I click on Next, and I see this screen, where I can see the list of control modules:

ScreenHunter_23 Oct. 24 11.32.jpg

At this point, the Tech 2 would need to be connected to the truck to proceed further, as Techline Connect would need to retrieve information from the truck regarding the installed modules and the current version of the software that is installed on each of these modules, so that can know what the current baseline is. Then, you could click on the appropriate control module, and it will list all of the software versions available, plus the version of the software that the current control module has installed.

Hopefully, this is helpful to folks exploring GM Techline connect.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

=================

===================

1-800-825-5886
Select 3
Select 2
Select 1

Is the subscription required to use a tech 2? Cost? This info may been in your post, I started reading and realized I had no clue what I was reading lol

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is the subscription required to use a tech 2? Cost? This info may been in your post, I started reading and realized I had no clue what I was reading lol
It’s not required to use it for troubleshooting and bidirectional operation. A subscription is only required if you need to program a module.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not required to use it for troubleshooting and bidirectional operation. A subscription is only required if you need to program a module.
Thank you. I never visit this section. I scrolled down and found the master thread. I’m reading through that now

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t overthink it. Watch a couple videos on Youtube and then play around with it. Research what you need to if you need to.
I’m just recently learning of the abilities of these things. Also, how much stuff requires having one. Its overwhelming at first. I have hp tuners but the capabilities are no where near the tech 2. I need one

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just recently learning of the abilities of these things. Also, how much stuff requires having one. Its overwhelming at first. I have hp tuners but the capabilities are no where near the tech 2. I need one
The Tech-2 will work for most of your fleet, not the '74 or the 2019. For the latter, you would need a laptop running the GDS2 software with the MDI2 interface or an aftermarket adapter like a VXDIAG NANO.

We need such a scan tool to properly diagnose things, everything from the engine, brakes, suspension, AC to interior switches and lighting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17