Metal chunks in oil pan..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that you guys mentioned it, that does look like timing chain tensioner pieces.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda wonder if there was an issue with the timing chain and they fixed that, but never pulled the oil pan to clean it. Would be interesting to see what the timing chain and tensioner look like.
easy to check see if any of the bolts have been pulled or have some wear on them..

No it was running fine no lights. Ive never pulled the pan before, i just bought it about 5000 miles ago.

Buy a AFM disabler if possible...

The mpg will be the same.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda wonder if there was an issue with the timing chain and they fixed that, but never pulled the oil pan to clean it. Would be interesting to see what the timing chain and tensioner look like.

Sounds right to me.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing chain tensioner for sure. Time to pull the pan and timing cover and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Vaughn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never been inside an ls but being a major sb chevy rebuilder, the big piece looks an awful lot like a rod bearing. If it is, I can't believe it's still running without a LOT of noise. For those ls experts, what does it look like to you?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been inside an ls but being a major sb chevy rebuilder, the big piece looks an awful lot like a rod bearing. If it is, I can't believe it's still running without a LOT of noise. For those ls experts, what does it look like to you?
Timing chain tensioner. If it was a rod bearing the engine would have self destructed by now.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert

Im in complete agreement with this post, pull a valve cover and rotate the crank pulley for/aft and look for excessive play watching valvetrain/lifter movement. If your cam chain is running without the tensioner/guide it would be noisy/sloppy/maybe even slapping on the cover?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in complete agreement with this post, pull a valve cover and rotate the crank pulley for/aft and look for excessive play watching valvetrain/lifter movement. If your cam chain is running without the tensioner/guide it would be noisy/sloppy/maybe even slapping on the cover?

Nah, there's not enough slack for it to visibly affect the timing. It also can't slap anything. It can whip around on deceleration, but not much with an automatic trans unless it's in manual mode or held in a lower gear. The LS3 just has a block (damper) that doesn't actively retain the slack in the chain like this tensioner does. Same size timing chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork