Metal chunks in oil pan..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McLeod Crouch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah so found these in the oil pan.. any ideas? truck was running fine. The brownish parts are plastic it feels like. The others are metal i believe.

FC4D0D64-D5CA-4EE5-9E01-5E1BECAC7675.jpeg

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic is probably the timing chain tensioner. Metal maybe from the VVt actuator or from the tensioner too.

Best guess although I’ve never seen this happen on an LS.

Running bad or any CEL? Did you remove the pan already?

Looks like you need to pull the front timing cover.

Sorry I see that you answered some of this in the first post. But I still think you are pulling the timing cover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McLeod Crouch

McLeod Crouch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Plastic is probably the timing chain tensioner. Metal maybe from the VVt actuator or from the tensioner too.

Best guess although I’ve never seen this happen on an LS.

Running bad or any CEL? Did you remove the pan already?

Looks like you need to pull the front timing cover.

Sorry I see that you answered some of this in the first post. But I still think you are pulling the timing cover.
No it was running fine no lights. Ive never pulled the pan before, i just bought it about 5000 miles ago.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I kinda wonder if there was an issue with the timing chain and they fixed that, but never pulled the oil pan to clean it. Would be interesting to see what the timing chain and tensioner look like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu