Mega Cruise in S. MS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I have occaisionally mentioned “Cruisin’ the Coast,” on the forum. It's been my goal to have the Escalade finished in time to participate in some of the unofficial events. (It's still too new to participate in registered events.) Well, the builder called last night to tell me the Escalade is finished and he began this week the daily-driving-shakedown phase of the build to find and fix "rattles and squeaks." If all goes as planned, we will drive up to N. AL around Sept 5 to take delivery! I'm really excited we will have it for "Cruisin" week!

"Cruisin the Coast" is a mega-cruise meet held down here on the MS Gulf Coast each year. It begins the afternoon of the first Sunday in October and continues thru the following Saturday night. This year Jay Leno is the grand marshal. The organizers just closed preregistration and announced a bit over 8000 classics, hotrods and antiques are registered. If past history repeats, more than 10000 cars will finally register. Add to that another 8000-10000 hotrods which show up but don't register, and it looks like this year will be biggest cruise ever. So, if you like old cars and live close enough for a day trip come on down! (I'm afraid there are no hotel rooms left.)

Attachments

• Thurs_Thumbs-04-150x150.jpg
    Thurs_Thumbs-04-150x150.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Tues_Thumb-8-150x150.jpg
    Tues_Thumb-8-150x150.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Wed_Thumb-03-150x150.jpg
    Wed_Thumb-03-150x150.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I met someone at a small car gathering here in MA this summer, who was wearing one of the "Cruisin' The Coast" t-shirts. Naturally, I had to ask them if they went. I never saw someone's face light up like this guy's when he began to recount the last run down there...
He had a 1931 Ford AA Stake body he drove there from MA to FL, then to the event in MS.

He laughed and said he bet his truck weighed an extra 100 lbs., with all the sand that got picked up off the roads during the cruise and collected inside the frame rails!

His truck is restored and kept better than showroom condition, so knowing all that sand was on and in his prized possession must have been really triggering his OCD. Probably twitched all the way home. He said he was flushing sand out for weeks after he got home, but he could not wait to get back there! Event of a lifetime he told me...

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Sounds right. There are no strangers during “Cruisin’” week. The people love their cars and tell anyone who will listen everything about them. It’s an amazing week of rolling art and friendly people. It’s tagged as the worlds largest block party.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds right. There are no strangers during “Cruisin’” week. The people love their cars and tell anyone who will listen everything about them. It’s an amazing week of rolling art and friendly people. It’s tagged as the worlds largest block party.
Sounds like MS and gulf coast was getting pounded by heavy rain and the tropics are starting to fire up this week on top of it all. Hurricane season is ready to pop-off. Hopefully, the cruise event gets a pass on storms and rain for you all. If not, I'll bet the hotel hospitality rooms will be overflowing and a great time will be had regardless of Mother Nature.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Yeah, weather threat is a fact of life down here. But so too is weather news hype. For instance, while we have had a good bit of rain in August, to have weather people report the MS coastal region was pounded by rain is hyperbole. It rained hard two or three times in the last month, and never for more than a couple hours, followed by light showers then clearing. That's our normal pattern during monsoon season. We've had showers, some heavy, but a good bit of sunshine too. Since last Friday we've had sunshine and almost no daytime rain at all. It will rain sometime, somewhere during CTC. But if normal Sept/Oct weather patterns prevail is will be short rainshowers surrounded by sunshine and pleasant temperatures throuout the week.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont