Make DRL Turn On With Parking Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShookieJay

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of Spec-D headlights with the DRL LED fiber optic bar for my 2003 Tahoe. The way they're meant to be installed is tapping into the DRL wiring, but I want the bars to illuminate when the parking lights are on too. Basically I'm looking to have them act as DRL, but also be on at night when the headlights and/or parking lights are on. My initial thought was to tap off both the DRL and parking light wiring and putting a diode on both wires to prevent them from backfeeding each other. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct way to go about it? Or better yet, if someone has a wiring diagram detailing the entire front lighting harness/BCM, I would be able to work it out on my own. Thanks!

DRL Bar Headlights.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a set of Spec-D headlights with the DRL LED fiber optic bar for my 2003 Tahoe. The way they're meant to be installed is tapping into the DRL wiring, but I want the bars to illuminate when the parking lights are on too. Basically I'm looking to have them act as DRL, but also be on at night when the headlights and/or parking lights are on. My initial thought was to tap off both the DRL and parking light wiring and putting a diode on both wires to prevent them from backfeeding each other. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct way to go about it? Or better yet, if someone has a wiring diagram detailing the entire front lighting harness/BCM, I would be able to work it out on my own. Thanks!

View attachment 415373
Do you have a link for these so I can inspect the parts?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the wiring for the bar lights are just cut ends that you have to splice?

I just got a set of knock off Spyders and I have those bar lights wired to the parking light circuit. And I delete my factory DRLS and replace with park/turn lamps. I also pulled the fuse for the DRLS. That's just me though.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
So the wiring for the bar lights are just cut ends that you have to splice?

I just got a set of knock off Spyders and I have those bar lights wired to the parking light circuit. And I delete my factory DRLS and replace with park/turn lamps. I also pulled the fuse for the DRLS. That's just me though.
Yes, they're flying leads that need to be spliced.
I would prefer to retain normal functionality of park/drl, just with the addition of the bars for both.
I know the parking lights are controlled by a relay in the BCM, but what about the DRL? My only worry is if the the DRL control is solid-state it would cause undesirable side effects...

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they're flying leads that need to be spliced.
I would prefer to retain normal functionality of park/drl, just with the addition of the bars for both.
I know the parking lights are controlled by a relay in the BCM, but what about the DRL? My only worry is if the the DRL control is solid-state it would cause undesirable side effects...
Ok I follow you now, you wan them to come on with the DRLS and the parks. That's next level for me. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will help you out.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
I appreciate you taking the time to help. I managed to get ahold of a more complete set of wiring diagrams, and it looks like both the DRL/parks are controlled by separate relays in the BCM. Now that I know there's no electronic funny business involved, I'm gonna go with my original plan of splicing into both circuits using diodes. I'll report back with the results. If it works the way I want it to, maybe I'll even write up a tutorial

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason not to go fully separate? 12V to a relay that only comes on with IGN in Run. The relay switches hot 12V to the lights. They should be on anytime the vehicle is running no matter what the other lights are doing. Option to add a switch to disable them if desired.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Is there a reason not to go fully separate? 12V to a relay that only comes on with IGN in Run. The relay switches hot 12V to the lights. They should be on anytime the vehicle is running no matter what the other lights are doing. Option to add a switch to disable them if desired.
That's a good point. I had considered a relay, but it wouldn't be as cool because they wouldnt come on when I unlock with the keyfob

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, love your thinking! Definitely looking for any progress you make.

A word of caution: I don't know how long those tube LEDs are going to last, so you might want to keep that in mind. Can the LEDs be replaced when they burn out?

Those concerns are why I dislike the tubes, and/or halos.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts