Magnetic Ride Delete Lessons Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerman 5002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently completed a front magnetic ride delete on my 2015. After reviewing countless posts and threads, I wanted to share my experience to help others.

After 75k, struts were smoked, one completely seized 2" shorter than the other. Based on some other posts I had two choices ... complete coilover replacements or replace struts only. Decided on the latter, ordered a set of Bilstein 5100s, top hats with bushings KYB SM5861, top mount washers 23206863. Installation was smooth outside of compressing the spring on the seized strut, muscled it with 4 compressors and took my time.

First attempt , I re-used original springs...very bad idea, quickly blew out the upper mounts. assume old springs cant support the vehicle weight alone. Swapped with some MOOG springs sized for an LT, replaced the top hats again for round two and all is well. Ride is excellent, absolutely best ride since I have owned the truck. When setting up the 5100 I decided to go one step up on the height adjustment. With the new springs, this raised my hoe just over level and now she rides a bit high in the front... looking to add a 1-1.5" inch in rear to get the stance right. Anyone have any suggestions? Also installed the new Xinering OBD SS Module to complete, easy to install and seems to work great. Allows me to keep my rear air ride intact while eliminating the service suspension issue with the front MRC removed.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great info on the bilstein ride quality, most make the move and claim they are harsher than desired ( it is an offroad shock)...most dont realize they will be a bit stiffer.

for the rear, the 3 options i see are this...
1. the spacer lift ( 1.5" being the shortest i can find)
2. bag inside of spring (dont recommend using to lift, but some do it)
3. height of lift needed dependent... the factory Z71 spring is 300# heavier rate ( this should give a slight lift, but cannot confirm actual amount)

i am nearing the time to lift my 2017, 2.5" front, 1.5" rear is what i have to install. it iwll get the Z71 rear spring first, possibly for a week or so for measurement purposes, then the spacer ( i will machine down if 1.5" is too high for my liking)

OP
OP
P

Powerman 5002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Stormin08, installed the 1.5 spacer and it almost perfectly leveled out the truck with just the slightest rake forward. With the autoride, I had to also install belltech shock extensions and extend the level sensors by cutting in half and adding 5mm coupling extensions I found on Amazon to extend the rod length, others have used cut to length 10-24 threaded rod which would probably work also.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The Bilstein thrive in heavier vehicles. Their mono tube design is the only one I’d run in a GM vehicle if not for the MRC.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my Bilsteins - so glad to be rid of MRC

19CHEVYburb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently completed a front magnetic ride delete on my 2015. After reviewing countless posts and threads, I wanted to share my experience to help others.

After 75k, struts were smoked, one completely seized 2" shorter than the other. Based on some other posts I had two choices ... complete coilover replacements or replace struts only. Decided on the latter, ordered a set of Bilstein 5100s, top hats with bushings KYB SM5861, top mount washers 23206863. Installation was smooth outside of compressing the spring on the seized strut, muscled it with 4 compressors and took my time.

First attempt , I re-used original springs...very bad idea, quickly blew out the upper mounts. assume old springs cant support the vehicle weight alone. Swapped with some MOOG springs sized for an LT, replaced the top hats again for round two and all is well. Ride is excellent, absolutely best ride since I have owned the truck. When setting up the 5100 I decided to go one step up on the height adjustment. With the new springs, this raised my hoe just over level and now she rides a bit high in the front... looking to add a 1-1.5" inch in rear to get the stance right. Anyone have any suggestions? Also installed the new Xinering OBD SS Module to complete, easy to install and seems to work great. Allows me to keep my rear air ride intact while eliminating the service suspension issue with the front MRC removed.
Did you use silver ring that came with bilstein 5100s? Using magneride lower spring mount it slides over bilstein shock nicely without silver ring. Also was spring rate different on magneride spring that destroyed the top mount?

OP
OP
P

Powerman 5002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you use silver ring that came with bilstein 5100s? Using magneride lower spring mount it slides over bilstein shock nicely without silver ring. Also was spring rate different on magneride spring that destroyed the top mount?
Yes, I used the silver ring as I ordered OEM lower spring seats to be safe. I thought I blew the top mounts due to the difference in spring rates but just realized I have again blown the top mounts with OEM non-magnetic ride springs installed… can’t imagine how I could have installed the upper mount incorrectly but I have now gone thru 4 KYB upper mounts… has anyone else had this problem

OP
OP
P

Powerman 5002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes I guess you learn as you go… after blowing two sets of KYB Mounts… I read the thread by 19CHEVYburb https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...with-bilstein-5100-mistakes-were-made.128679/
If you do the conversion you need the bump stop cup that doesn’t come with the KYB mounts, but does come with the Monroe 902035 mounts. Reverse your bump stop (pointing toward shock body) slide this cap on and then install mount. This will prevent the bump stop from pushing the rubber section of the mount out thru the top during large travel excursions. With the new mounts, it does ride a little harsher but sure does hold the road without the dreaded bounce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts