Magneride delete with bilstein 5100, mistakes were made

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19CHEVYburb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s up guys so I have a 2017 Suburban and I recently deleted the magneride and put in bilstein 5100s. I used bilstein 5100s part number 24-186940,for the strut mounts I used KYB 19699, and Xineering magneride front delete. I re-used magneride springs and ride is smoother at highway speeds. Things I don’t like 1. Dips in the road truck bounces like if shocks were blown 2. bumps at low speeds are rough. I am not sure if spring rate is lower on magneride springs but I did a bit of searching and couldn’t find any info. After some further research I think I ordered the wrong part number for the bilsteins. Also Ive driven the vehicle about 50 miles and I can see that the strut mounts are going bad.

Not going to mess with it anymore so just going to upgrade, what is the better option:
1. Rancho quick lift pre assembled struts
2. Bilstein 6112s
3. Fox 2.0 coilovers
I know theres an obvious price difference from the rancho to the other two but are the ranchos even worth the money? Ive read bilstein 6112s are good but dont feel like going through the headache of compressing springs and what not. Finally are the Fox shocks good for everyday driving? Or is the spring rate high and the shocks kinda stiff?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as with any OFFORAD application, valving and rate should be slightly higher...they are meant to control the weight and movement of offroad surfaces.

short, answer...YEs, they will or should be slightly stiffer when at low speed on road.

2 options...DRIVE it and dont worry about the bump or totally avoid any thing rough at speeds over a crawl.

i have read others complain about the mag ride delete springs not being up to par after the delete.

if you want smooth ride, you need to avoid the NAME BRAND offroad stuff and look into the likes of Monroe and replace more often ( normal mileage intervals)

OP
OP

19CHEVYburb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Finally figured out what my issue was and fixed it today. I didn’t have metal sleeve that goes over the bump stop which push rubber portion of strut mount out of the mount. Found a used set of non-magneride struts and swapped over all necessary hardware to make 5100s work. I will eventually write a DIY on this since I only found bits of info and ended up learning the hard way and have taken my front suspension apart 3 times to get it right.

cnunez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Finally figured out what my issue was and fixed it today. I didn’t have metal sleeve that goes over the bump stop which push rubber portion of strut mount out of the mount. Found a used set of non-magneride struts and swapped over all necessary hardware to make 5100s work. I will eventually write a DIY on this since I only found bits of info and ended up learning the hard way and have taken my front suspension apart 3 times to get it right.
Crazy, wish I saw this post sooner. I did the same thing to my truck back in March. Had the new kyb mounts blow apart because of the kissing sleeve. I have to agree even after rather still bounce more than I'd like for being stiffer. But I think I need to get rid of the kyb mounts as the bushings still look like they have too much play

Powerman 5002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad I am seeing this, blown two sets of KYB mounts and trying to figure out why. What does this metal sleeve look like. Can’t find it shown on a parts diagram anywhere

Powerman 5002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was this the kissing sleeve you guys are talking about that comes Monroe Mounts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345