Ly6 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the cams I looked at were designed for LS truck engines, regardless of intake port design. Here's the one I ended up with and I'm happy with it. I pull a 6,500lb trailer so wanted something that would outperform stock and be a set-and-forget solution. It also has a fabulous lope at idle.
https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-camshaft-gen-3-4-truck-stage-2-v2-btr31218110.html

How's your dad doing? Were you able to get your truck up and running and get him home okay?

For aftermarket cams that's one that has interested me most. I got everything apart but haven't been able to put it back together been busy taking care of him and cleaning his house and built a railing and poured concrete where sidewalk was missing from doing well pipe years ago trying to make things easier for him so he can get around and do things himself when he recovers. I got him home last week and to an appointment on Friday in the purple dodge. Been using a couple step stools to get him up in definitely not a good solution but it works. The purple dodge has new shocks so it's softer then other dodge but he groans after every bump and dip. Hopefully today after I get firewood for him I'm hoping I can get to finally putting the burb back together. I gotta replace windshield in it before Thursday when it gets inspection and It gets it's annual undercoating Saturday. between those things dad's post hospital appointments and kids and wife's appointments next couple weeks are crazy so this afternoon is my only chance to get it done.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summit racing has some great cam options at a lower price than most big-name guys. If all I wanted was a little more umpf out of a mostly stock motor with no plans of boost I'd seriously consider one of them. Or wait until a used cam with the specs you want pops up. I got my current cam used for $200 several years ago and had it in a different truck before this one.

Here is a decent option from summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8718r1/make/chevrolet

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For aftermarket cams that's one that has interested me most. I got everything apart but haven't been able to put it back together been busy taking care of him and cleaning his house and built a railing and poured concrete where sidewalk was missing from doing well pipe years ago trying to make things easier for him so he can get around and do things himself when he recovers. I got him home last week and to an appointment on Friday in the purple dodge. Been using a couple step stools to get him up in definitely not a good solution but it works. The purple dodge has new shocks so it's softer then other dodge but he groans after every bump and dip. Hopefully today after I get firewood for him I'm hoping I can get to finally putting the burb back together. I gotta replace windshield in it before Thursday when it gets inspection and It gets it's annual undercoating Saturday. between those things dad's post hospital appointments and kids and wife's appointments next couple weeks are crazy so this afternoon is my only chance to get it done.

That 212/218 is fantastic and you won't be disappointed unless you want a crazy sounding cam which that will not be in a 6.0

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to have little to no lope want a mostly stock idle that's what has me against alot of the aftermarket cams I have looked into. I also want a flat torque curve not something that peaks and drops off fast.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to have little to no lope want a mostly stock idle that's what has me against alot of the aftermarket cams I have looked into. I also want a flat torque curve not something that peaks and drops off fast.

If you want stock sounds, then the 111lsa on that BTr cam isn't what you want, the same duration but maybe a 113+ on the LSA would do a better job eliminating the chop. Has alot to do with valve overlap heres a good calculator to determine overlap. http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.

Long ago I was looking for a cam that sounded totally stock but added a nice bump in power across the board. I was specced 212/218 .600/.600 on a 118 LSA by texas speed. It was going in a 4.8 with a blower. I never did install it but it was hell trying to sell it, nobody wanted a quiet cam :jester:

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long ago I was looking for a cam that sounded totally stock but added a nice bump in power across the board. I was specced 212/218 .600/.600 on a 118 LSA by texas speed. It was going in a 4.8 with a blower. I never did install it but it was hell trying to sell it, nobody wanted a quiet cam :jester:

Everyone wants the lope which is why most aftermarket cams are designed to lope. Not many are designed for smooth idle. Was that a custom ground cam or something off shelf from them?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone wants the lope which is why most aftermarket cams are designed to lope. Not many are designed for smooth idle. Was that a custom ground cam or something off shelf from them?

It was custom, ended up trading it to a buddy who then sold it to a guy with a twin-turbo 4.8 in a Typhon. Never heard if he liked it or not.

A good tuner can take a lot of the lope out of a cam too

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was custom, ended up trading it to a buddy who then sold it to a guy with a twin-turbo 4.8 in a Typhon. Never heard if he liked it or not.

A good tuner can take a lot of the lope out of a cam too

There aren't any good tuners near here that I know of was thinking either get hp tuners and try to do it myself or go through black bear idk yet on that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505