Lowest static GM suv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the weight of the front is supported by two bolts in tension at each strut? Am I seeing that right? Not criticizing, just trying to learn how this is done.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the weight of the front is supported by two bolts in tension at each strut? Am I seeing that right? Not criticizing, just trying to learn how this is done.
It’s been done quite a bit, just have to use grade 8 bolts or better.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Correct. Rough Country sells a 2" drop kit that consists of four high-grade bolts and nuts (I forget the exact grade, but it's stronger than Grade 8) and a thin spacer (to achieve the full 2" drop). A big company such as RC wouldn't risk their reputation over a $40 drop kit. Still, the thought is a bit unsettling to me. But. I can't say I've ever heard of any failures resulting from this. Doug's running his drop and Ken (@kbuskill) has or had his for a while.

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are both correct. I have a post on Facebook and 40+ people have done the same thing for years with no issues. I went all out and bought grade 12.9 nuts and bolts. Cost me $40 for 4 nuts and bolts but it’s worth the peace of mind knowing the bolts will NEVER fail. I used knurled nuts so they dig into the control arm pretty good and also used red loctite

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you, flipping the strut made an insane difference on how the truck rode. I thought it rode decent for the drop before I changed it up but now that the strut is back to stock length with the stock spring, it rides like a dreamD91B2939-B003-4C16-B9C2-2AAFCCA7D163.jpeg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Correct. Rough Country sells a 2" drop kit that consists of four high-grade bolts and nuts (I forget the exact grade, but it's stronger than Grade 8) and a thin spacer (to achieve the full 2" drop). A big company such as RC wouldn't risk their reputation over a $40 drop kit. Still, the thought is a bit unsettling to me. But. I can't say I've ever heard of any failures resulting from this. Doug's running his drop and Ken (@kbuskill) has or had his for a while.

RC's kit uses grade 9 bolts and nuts, just for the record.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you, flipping the strut made an insane difference on how the truck rode. I thought it rode decent for the drop before I changed it up but now that the strut is back to stock length with the stock spring, it rides like a dreamView attachment 346374

How was it dropped before you flipped the strut? What components?

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was it dropped before you flipped the strut? What components?

Belltech street performance struts with no rings (~3” drop) plus the 2” drop spindles. The original drop setup has always been a mystery since day 1. The drop components used didn’t match up to the amount the truck was actually lowered. My original 7/10 total measurement was based off of factory ground to fender measurements

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belltech street performance struts with no rings (~3” drop) plus the 2” drop spindles. The original drop setup has always been a mystery since day 1. The drop components used didn’t match up to the amount the truck was actually lowered. My original 7/10 total measurement was based off of factory ground to fender measurements

So you're now on stock struts but mounted under the arm?

I have the BT 25003 struts and want a little more drop. The 25003 are supposed to be 0"-2" drop. I was under the impression that the 25004 was a 3" drop, so I now have those on standby. But, they measure from the lower mount to the welded ring where the spring perch sits the same as the 25003. If new stock struts (AutoRide or non-AR) would ride better, then I'll get those and mount em under. I have the RC bolt kit already.

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're now on stock struts but mounted under the arm?

I have the BT 25003 struts and want a little more drop. The 25003 are supposed to be 0"-2" drop. I was under the impression that the 25004 was a 3" drop, so I now have those on standby. But, they measure from the lower mount to the welded ring where the spring perch sits the same as the 25003. If new stock struts (AutoRide or non-AR) would ride better, then I'll get those and mount em under. I have the RC bolt kit already.

nope I actually run the 25004 struts with all the included rings. I also run a 1/2” spacer between the strut and bottom of the control arm for another 1/2” drop

what’s super nice about putting the strut underneath is the fact that if you want to adjust the height, all you have to do is loosen the bolts and slip a spacer in there (or remove one) and not have to take apart the entire strut assembly
DC55384C-A457-4E67-83A9-A3566BF8D6B8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia