Lowering the front of an SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.5 lowering set up for the back of the SSV, at first I loved it, but then needed to tow stuff so put it back to stock. The front always sat higher, what can I get to level out the truck in the front. The truck has the stock front suspension on it.

I’m not towing much anymore, still have the rear lowering kit in the shed.
What do I need to get to level out the front to match the back?

I have a set of AR20” wheels with stock width and height wheels on it that I run 3 seasons with winter 17” tires n wheels in the winter. I’m willing to swap suspension parts in and out between seasons and get alignments.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.5 lowering set up for the back of the SSV, at first I loved it, but then needed to tow stuff so put it back to stock. The front always sat higher, what can I get to level out the truck in the front. The truck has the stock front suspension on it.

I’m not towing much anymore, still have the rear lowering kit in the shed.
What do I need to get to level out the front to match the back?

I have a set of AR20” wheels with stock width and height wheels on it that I run 3 seasons with winter 17” tires n wheels in the winter. I’m willing to swap suspension parts in and out between seasons and get alignments.

Just get some spindles and be done with it. You should be able to tow with no problem with a 2.5" rear drop. I tow with a 4.5" rear drop. Just gotta do the free travel mod and, if you carry a lot of weight or if your drop coils are soft, get helper bags.

If you need to lift it during the winter, you can simply slip some spacers under the struts and rear coils when you jack it up to install your winter 17s. No need for multiple re-alignments.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which spindles do u suggest? Would I need to change out the lower control arms ? What else would I need to make this all happen?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which spindles do u suggest? Would I need to change out the lower control arms ? What else would I need to make this all happen?

I'm a fan of the McGaughy spindles because they maintain the most of the OEM geometry. BUT, they "only" drop 1.75". The Belltechs drop 2", but at the expense of a more pronounced upper ball joint angle. This generally does not seem to be a problem if you don't lower it any more and just what the spindles provide. For lowering beyond that, they have a different design of spindle that relieves the upper ball joint angle.

You won't need to change anything other than the spindles. Since you're 4WD, you'll have to trim the upper ball joint stud to clear the CV joint.

So- get spindles to lower the front and reinstall your rear drop. Do the Free Travel Mod if you haven't. If it's too low when towing, toss in a set of Air Lift or Firestone helper bags and you'll be set. Done.

If you need an inch or two of clearance during the winter, add front and rear spacers to your winter wheel swap routine. I'd go no more than 2". The small lift isn't enough to worry with having a re-aligment.

You can get the spacers for the front and rear for about $30 each set (~$60 total).

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the McGaughy spindles because they maintain the most of the OEM geometry. BUT, they "only" drop 1.75". The Belltechs drop 2", but at the expense of a more pronounced upper ball joint angle. This generally does not seem to be a problem if you don't lower it any more and just what the spindles provide. For lowering beyond that, they have a different design of spindle that relieves the upper ball joint angle.

You won't need to change anything other than the spindles. Since you're 4WD, you'll have to trim the upper ball joint stud to clear the CV joint.

So- get spindles to lower the front and reinstall your rear drop. Do the Free Travel Mod if you haven't. If it's too low when towing, toss in a set of Air Lift or Firestone helper bags and you'll be set. Done.

If you need an inch or two of clearance during the winter, add front and rear spacers to your winter wheel swap routine. I'd go no more than 2". The small lift isn't enough to worry with having a re-aligment.

You can get the spacers for the front and rear for about $30 each set (~$60 total).
What’s the free travel mod? Forgive my gullibility

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the free travel mod? Forgive my gullibility

It's where you trim off the rear bump stop and its bracket to allow more travel in the rear suspension. On the GMT900 models, the bump stop is about 3" above the axle. That's plenty of distance for the axle to cycle during most any driving instances. But, when you lower the rear, that puts you really close, if not resting on the bump stops, causing a harsh ride.

I think your generation sits higher so it has more space and doesn't need the FTM until around 4-5" of drop. This is just my guess based on what I've seen.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok a few more ?’s About this…. Does the ride quality suffer? Is it going to be harsher in the bumps? I have these state route roads and back roads that I’m on a lot going place. They are the smoothest roads on the planet…. Not

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok a few more ?’s About this…. Does the ride quality suffer? Is it going to be harsher in the bumps? I have these state route roads and back roads that I’m on a lot going place. They are the smoothest roads on the planet…. Not

If you lower the front with spindles, neither the ride quality nor the amount of suspension travel changes. You're only moving the location of where the wheel is attached upward 2". It'll ride like stock.

For the rear, you can only lower with coils (springs), so the ride feel is affected. Most good quality lowering coils ride very similar to the factory coils, if not slightly cushier. If your 2.5" rear coils rode fine, then reinstall them and perform the FTM. You should have shock extenders with those coils. With the FTM and extenders, it shouldn't ride any worse than stock unless those 2.5" coils are stiff.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend Summit had a sale and the Belltech spindles were 45.00 bucks less with free shipping. I ordered them on Sunday night, they are being delivered tomorrow! Hope to have the time this weekend to install.
Thank you all for the responses and feedback. Will post once installed and I’ve got a few miles on them.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend Summit had a sale and the Belltech spindles were 45.00 bucks less with free shipping. I ordered them on Sunday night, they are being delivered tomorrow! Hope to have the time this weekend to install.
Thank you all for the responses and feedback. Will post once installed and I’ve got a few miles on them.
Wish I had known about them! Damnit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu