Lowering rear only on a 4X4 LTZ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With autoride and the spacers he will get the drop he wants and rear wont sit lower. the springs work fine on the autoride trucks you just need to adjust the autoride sensors.

OP
OP
Fast55

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I think a full 2" drop, while making the fender lips the same height, will make the truck too low in the rear. I'm not sure who said it, but I agree that they were designed to have some rake to the look and even a perfectly level stance just doesn't look right. With this setup I can pull the rear spacer and drop the front an inch (hopefully without blowing a shock like Kirk) if I wan't an even lower look. Being a 4X4, I don't think I'd ever consider a spindle drop.

OP
OP
Fast55

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, reviving this thread I have a question. I think it was Kirk, but someone said the Autoride links that were purchased were too long (or too short) and just getting some all thread and cutting to length was the way to go. This is also what was suggested by Norcal since I only got 1 link with the springs I bought. My problem is, what the hell is the thread size?? It's not 8/32, and I thought it was 5mm X .8 but that's either not it, or the sizing tool at the local Home Depot is screwed up, not that they actually have any metric all thread anyway?? Anyone?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, reviving this thread I have a question. I think it was Kirk, but someone said the Autoride links that were purchased were too long (or too short) and just getting some all thread and cutting to length was the way to go. This is also what was suggested by Norcal since I only got 1 link with the springs I bought. My problem is, what the hell is the thread size?? It's not 8/32, and I thought it was 5mm X .8 but that's either not it, or the sizing tool at the local Home Depot is screwed up, not that they actually have any metric all thread anyway?? Anyone?

I sent you one link to show you what they look like told you that when we talked. You can go to the store and get a bigger one and thread it out. The links have give where they will stretch for bigger thread.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It was Kirk. :)

If you were sent one aftermarket link, just take it to Home Depot and size it accordingly. You'll find the exact thread (or so close that you won't know the diff without calipers). Remember that the factory links aren't even threaded -- so, you're just getting something with threads that are similar to the widest part of the stock links, or the same as the threaded portion of the link Tony sent you.

Forget the sizing tool. Just hold the link up to the bags of long, threaded bolts, and you'll find the correct threads.

What I did was buy a pack (of 3, or 5... can't remember) threaded bolts that I found to be the same exact threads. Seems to me that they had a tapered head, and were zinc-coated. Anyway, I just cut the heads off when cutting them to length. With the heads cut off, you're left with all thread. Easier than cutting down a piece of all-thread, but either works.

OP
OP
Fast55

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear. I tried sizing the link I got, but it doesn't seem to match ANY thread size unless the sizing tool at HD is effed up. Are you saying that the actual links are just unthreaded metal rods?? (I haven't pulled anything apart to look yet). If it's just a piece of rod, how is it held in place? I guess I need to get under there and start tearing into it. Thanks for the replies.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear. I tried sizing the link I got, but it doesn't seem to match ANY thread size unless the sizing tool at HD is effed up.

I thought you were clear -- so, obviously I wasn't. I didn't even use a thread sizing tool at HD. If you got a link from Tony, and it was aluminum rod with threads at each end, then take that to HD, and hold it up to some bolts that LOOK similar. Chances are you're going to find the same threads, or something really close. And since the stock rods are NOT threaded, you're just looking for the same general diameter.

Are you saying that the actual links are just unthreaded metal rods?? (I haven't pulled anything apart to look yet). If it's just a piece of rod, how is it held in place? I guess I need to get under there and start tearing into it. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The sensor caps are PRESSED on to splined ends on the factory rods. There are grooves, but they run with the rod, and not in a threaded fashion. It's a press fit. So, for this reason, getting really precise with the threading at HD is a waste of time, since you're not matching ANY threads -- just looking for something with the same diameter [threads]. The same diameter threading will keep the sensor caps secure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n