LowCountryTim's 2011 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
Purchased about a year ago for the right price. 250k on the odometer. Plan is to make some improvements on a budget while teaching my son (who just got his learner's permit) a few things, then letting him use it when he receives his full license.

Tentative list of items:

-replace charcoal canister (slow fill) - COMPLETE
-replace driver side motor mount - COMPLETE [also replaced the passenger side]
-replace dashboard
---get the gauge cluster refurb'd while it's out?
---upgrade factory radio to tesla-style
-replace interior carpet
-replace seat foam driver's seat
-new wheels/tires 285/45r22
-McGaughty's 2" spindle drop
---replace lower control arm bushings (worn)
---replace struts Bilstein 5100
-Belltech rear spring 3" drop
-new front/rear bumper covers

20240529_091845.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
Charcoal canister was an easy one. Maybe 15 minutes.

I didn't order a new one until I had removed the old one to see if it was the canister. Upon removal charcoal started falling out, so I knew that one was toast. Checked the lines for any loose charcoal, didn't find any.

I removed the spare tire before starting-- not required but I can definitely see where it made things a lot easier.

Broke the plastic retainer clip.

1716989374512.png

20240529_092009.jpg

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
Both parts counters wanted $830 for the new dashboard.

Stumbled upon parts.gmparts.com, ordered it from one of the local dealers and got a much better price. Lowest price ($705) was over an hour from me at some other dealer. Not worth the drive to pick it up.

You can get some smoking hot deals with the 20% off coupon. If you need some genuine GM stuff, I recommend checking it out.

1717014385582.png
1717014407559.png

BacDoc

Reaction score
Love your attitude and style Tim!

One thing you should do is get some type of after market stick on trim that says “Low Country “ and instead of the mountain profile on the High Country maybe you can get some type of “Tim” script lol !

Keep us posted

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
Love your attitude and style Tim!

One thing you should do is get some type of after market stick on trim that says “Low Country “ and instead of the mountain profile on the High Country maybe you can get some type of “Tim” script lol !

Keep us posted
Funny you should say that.. 3M adhesive remover arrived today. Plan on shaving all the trim and badging.

But now you've got my wheels turning.. and I have a vinyl cutter. Maybe there's some matte black vinyl in my future? Don't want anything too pronounced, but a low-key low-country badge-esque decal might be worth a go. And nothing lost if I don't like it.

Motor mount showed up tonight. Looks like more photos incoming.

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
Driver's side motor mount replaced. 2 hours. Definitely resolved the clunk on throttle. Still feeling a clunk going over a bump (ie backing over curb) Wonder if it's the passenger side motor mount? Any way to easily diagnose that?

What I used:

-18" socket extension (for the 3 bolts to the motor; no extension used on the top front bolt to the motor)
-36" socket extension (for the 3 bolts to the frame)
-15mm swivel socket
-15mm ratcheting wrench (for removing the intermediate steering column)

Everything went super smooth.

Time to get started:
20240530_080058.jpg

18" extension and swivel socket made this too easy:
20240530_081245.jpg20240530_081434.jpg

Top front bolt just needed the socket wrench:
20240530_081634.jpg

Used the 36" extension to tackle the bolts to the frame; removed the fuse cover to make it easier:
20240530_082435.jpg

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
36" extension:
20240530_083138.jpg

I used a block of wood to jack on the block. Seen some people use the cat, seen others use the oil pan. That all seemed a little sketchy to me. Just make sure you chock the wheels on your floor jack:
20240530_084116.jpg

All cleaned up 2 hours later:
20240530_100711.jpg

Other things of note..

Whe you remove the steerig column make sure your steering wheel doesn't spin. You'll get a "Service Stabilitrak" message bc your wheel is 360 out (ask me how I know). I disconnect, spun 360 (luckily guessed the right direction), reconnected and error was resolved.

Also there's some loomed wires that pass below the motor mount. Make sure they don't get pinched when you drop the motor.

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
So... this happened.

Got the logos and trim (which was barely hanging on for dear life) removed from the tailgate and driver's side.

Also got the panels cut. Hopefully I'll get them polished and sealed tonight.

I love the SC heat but unfortunately I lack an indoor space, so I have to wait until after 6pm to get anything accomplished with the car chemicals. Worst thing you can do it try and cut/polish a panel that is hot.

20240530_152648.jpg

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... this happened.

Got the logos and trim (which was barely hanging on for dear life) removed from the tailgate and driver's side.

Also got the panels cut. Hopefully I'll get them polished and sealed tonight.

I love the SC heat but unfortunately I lack an indoor space, so I have to wait until after 6pm to get anything accomplished with the car chemicals. Worst thing you can do it try and cut/polish a panel that is hot.

View attachment 429501
I almost stopped on mine when I got to this point.

IMG_8909.jpeg

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
I almost stopped on mine when I got to this point.

View attachment 429502
lol.. it's like leaving "RAD" when you shave "SILVERADO"

Thought about the heat gun, but that adhesive remover it's pretty sweet. Just let it dwell. A few minutes makes it so easy.

This morning I looked at the panels I cut last night (difficult to judge without sunlight, and I can't afford a sungun) everything is looking really good. I think with the polish it will be stunning (for a 13 year old vehicle)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asadachi99

Latest posts