RedRadioFlyer's 2004 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all. I moved from Dallas, TX to Tacoma, WA for my wife's job in early 2019. Sold my my bagged '01 Silverado project, '90 K5 project, and my '07 Sierra Classic that just blew its 4L60E for a 2nd time before the move. So I had to find something up here ASAP. The used truck market up here is absolutely ludicrous here in the PNW, so I started looking into NBS Tahoe's for something to get me by for a few years on the cheap. For some reason, full size SUV's are about half the price of something with a bed, so I ended picking this '04 up with 156k on the odometer for way cheap. Fully loaded LT 4x4, 5.3, drive train felt amazing, and it was in pretty good shape for the mileage/year. Plus its red, only .02% of all 2004 Tahoe's came in good 'ol Victory Red.

Brought it home looking like this:

PjMMgKM.jpg
lSeiTco.jpg

Pretty basic, not much molestation minus those taillights. Good starting point overall. Here is how it sat for a few months after some cleaning and molding/step removal:

d2R5FnS.jpg
g9AC1cO.jpg

LTZ 20's aren't my favorite, and they werent in great shape, so sold them, did a key and spacer lift, and slapped some 33's and Centerline Stingray II 20's on it:

bGLWtED.jpg
KOVUDhJ.jpg
0j9mAAT.jpg

Tinted the tails and shaved the rear wiper arm assy.

8qfpfcg.jpg
xM90WwB.jpg
tobbTSu.jpg
BWMqolb.jpg
a4SmGV2.jpg
YEYQtqU.jpg
ns2pThG.jpg

Also working on slowly putting together a Denali interior, already have gauges and bezel.

ojFr24J.jpg

The 5.3 has a lifter that is starting to stick, bleed down. So overhaul and go fast goodies time. Here is some of what I'll be throwing at it next weekend (list below):

p77yuEb.jpg

Here is a list what I have gotten done to it so far:

Alpine ilx-207 Double Din Media Receiver, backup cam
Lift keys and rear lift for about 2" lift total
20x8" Centerline Stingray II's w/ 33x10.5 (from previous truck)
Tint front rolldowns to match rear
Factory tails, tinted turn signal portion red
Weathertechs throughout
Replace some interior stuff that is worn out and slowly gather parts for a Denali swap
Denali gauges w/ temp gauge
Remove and shave rear wiper assy, paint soon
Remove all molding and steps
Z71 front valence w/ fogs
Energy suspension sway bushings

Here are my future plans for it -

Body work:
Paint the black handles red - the are painted black from the factory for some reason
PDR and full paint correction
Install new HD hood and smooth bumper cap painted to match
Finish wiper assy shave/paint
Install new painted to match grille
I'm sure I'll come up with something else creative, love this paint color

Engine:
LS6 243 heads, factory replacement valves, etc
BTR Stage II Cam (212/218) w/ beehive springs
K&N Drop In filter
All new gaskets, water pump, maint. items, good cleaning
Dyno tune
'14+ 6.2 muffler
OEM E-fan swap

Interior:
Complete Denali interior swap, need center console and front door panels
Recover leather on front seat bottoms
Maybe LED swap on gauges w/ a new overlay
Front windshield tint

Trans/Drivetrain:
4L80 swap w/ rebuilt and shift kit
Higher stall converter

That's it for now. More to come soon with the engine work next weekend. This is my only ride for now, so it gets a lot of attention - good or bad.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here are some shots of my recent rides that I've let go.

'01 Silverado w/ 22" transport steelies, Accuair (RIP), full tubs, etc
2iGjnUB.jpg
D2MYMtd.jpg
6uGbkGK.jpg

'07 Sierra Classic, cammed, headers, slight lift, billets on 33's, hobbies included: blowing built 4L60's
53ZS6l7.jpg
Ef4Vihb.jpg
GnHWQMh.jpg

'90 K5 Blazer, mostly stock, decent shape, cleaned it up but didn't give this one the love and mods it deserved. Was a good flip after having it for 6 years though
o1lWt9h.jpg
nFt3ImG.jpg
tQCGsSa.jpg

Thanks for reading!

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, holy smokes didnt know the photos would be so massive - just linked BBcode from Imgur, how would I shrink those down??

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I like where you're going with the mods. Glad you got rid of those other tail lights. I've been trying to get some Transport rims---one day.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like where you're going with the mods. Glad you got rid of those other tail lights. I've been trying to get some Transport rims---one day.

Thanks

Scope out Craigslist in the large TX cities for the smoothies, they're def out there and some ship. I got mine in Houston for $500 picked up back in the day. Beware they are about the heaviest wheel you'll ever lift, and the finish sucks so be ready to paint/PC.

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't recognize the name, but definitely do the rides. Glad to see you back and can't wait to hear what you think of the BTR 2

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like what you did with the Silvy, I’ve got a SFBD 08 with a build thread here, link in my sig. Following along with the Tahoe.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Didn't recognize the name, but definitely do the rides. Glad to see you back and can't wait to hear what you think of the BTR 2

Whats up man, yeah figured id mix it up over here with the new ride, and the Adjusted name didn't really make sense anymore. Still over at CGM though.

Had a Comp Cam in the Sierra with the same specs just a little less LSA and loved it, so hoping for similar results here. Will be kinda weird without any exhaust mods on the way, but I'll let the tuner figure that one out.

Like what you did with the Silvy, I’ve got a SFBD 08 with a build thread here, link in my sig. Following along with the Tahoe.

Thanks man! Yeah it was a cool rig, I miss having something low, maybe tahoe will go down static once its off DD duty. I'll scope out your build.

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up man, yeah figured id mix it up over here with the new ride, and the Adjusted name didn't really make sense anymore. Still over at CGM though.

Had a Comp Cam in the Sierra with the same specs just a little less LSA and loved it, so hoping for similar results here. Will be kinda weird without any exhaust mods on the way, but I'll let the tuner figure that one out.

I couldn't remember exactly which camshaft you had in yours? I know me and you had similar in our Graystones (mine was 216/220). I still drool over your ecsb every time i see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE