RedRadioFlyer's 2004 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I couldn't remember exactly which camshaft you had in yours? I know me and you had similar in our Graystones (mine was 216/220). I still drool over your ecsb every time i see it.

Yep going with same one with this setup, I know it performs and I wont need a new converter for now. Lol thanks, me too. I miss that truck more than anything else ive had. Was a mega bad time to pop a trans again, if I wouldve known how pricey trucks were up here I woulda just rebuilt it, oh well, hindsight.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Ill build something else if it goes, but I really dig this one. Had plans to keep it for a loong time. We'll see how the diesel fuel engine flush goes...
Decent used blocks are plentiful and fairly cheap. Might be better to go that way instead of chancing that one.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its officially done.

Let a diesel fuel and transmission fluid mixture sit in it and manually turned the engine over a few times over the weekend in hopes to knock some sludge loose. When I drained it I saw no debris in in, added new oil and filter, started it up and oil pressure jumped to 20psi idle right away (my heart was racing), then steadily dropped back down to 4 once it warmed up a bit. Major blockage and or a bearing/tolerance failure. Sad day, but I have a local buyer for it already, and am stealing all of the fun parts off of it for another NBS project one day.

I know how cheap (by comparison) a swap would be, but I don't have the room/tooling/time to do it myself. With no spare car to drive in the meantime, and the lady fed up with it, we went out and bought a very nice used 2015 Yukon SLT. Hate to give up on this one - doesn't sit totally right with the mechanic in me - but its just how it went this time around. Best believe I'll be pulling a valve cover ASAP on the new Yukon to verify its been well cared for.

/thread...