low oil pressure long trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldskier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2012 yukon xl 5.3L, drove on a 600 mile road trip. all the way out was fine, I check guages frequently. On the way back home about 250 miles to go i noticed oil pressure dropping to about 10. I pulled over and checked the oil and only had to add 1/2 Qt. used the rest room and came back out and looked all over for leaks and didn't see anything. Started the truck up and pressure was good for about 100 miles and had to pull over and stop the car again. waited a few min and on restart pressure came back up. Did this like 3 times before getting home. Any ideas on something simple before I take it to a shop. I saw a youtube video of someone adding a engine clean product to the oil and running it for 5 min then doing oil change. I got a check engine lite when it started dropping the 2nd time but no serious warnings if there are any for this? I am going now to see what the code is.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 yukon xl 5.3L, drove on a 600 mile road trip. all the way out was fine, I check guages frequently. On the way back home about 250 miles to go i noticed oil pressure dropping to about 10. I pulled over and checked the oil and only had to add 1/2 Qt. used the rest room and came back out and looked all over for leaks and didn't see anything. Started the truck up and pressure was good for about 100 miles and had to pull over and stop the car again. waited a few min and on restart pressure came back up. Did this like 3 times before getting home. Any ideas on something simple before I take it to a shop. I saw a youtube video of someone adding a engine clean product to the oil and running it for 5 min then doing oil change. I got a check engine lite when it started dropping the 2nd time but no serious warnings if there are any for this? I am going now to see what the code is.
Oil pressure sensor and/or filter screen below it, pick up tube o-ring. Could be something as simple as type of oil or filter you are running. This thread is a good read for starters:
@07Burb

OP
OP
O

oldskier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The chk engine code says sensor switch. But driving around and running eronds and driving to work today about 20 miles everything is looking normal, not reading Under 30. I checked the code and cleared it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The chk engine code says sensor switch. But driving around and running eronds and driving to work today about 20 miles everything is looking normal, not reading Under 30. I checked the code and cleared it.
Says "sensor switch"? What code says that? What code was it? Codes give you system faults areas and the rest is diagnosis.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly the behavior I experienced when the sender went out on my 2012 back in 2018, shortly after I bought it. Pressure would be fine for the first 30-45 minutes of a trip and then start to drop until the low oil pressure warning tripped. Replaced the sender and screen and never had another problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon