loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if you get the pitman arm off the steering box. I couldn't get mine off. Tried everything. Ended up getting a new steering box and installed a new pitman arm. Totally rebuilt the whole front end. Good luck. With all that rust. I would go ahead and replace the center link, tie rods too.
I got mine out, took me around 6 hours total of going back and forth to it. Required 2 pitman arm tools because the first broke. What ended up getting it out was cutting into the pitman arm and stopping right before I would hit the splines of the gear box. I did v shaped overlapping cuts in 2 different spots and it came right off.

DadsToy

Reaction score
I got mine out, took me around 6 hours total of going back and forth to it. Required 2 pitman arm tools because the first broke. What ended up getting it out was cutting into the pitman arm and stopping right before I would hit the splines of the gear box. I did v shaped overlapping cuts in 2 different spots and it came right off.
That is a lot of work just to get that arm off. I beat on mine for 4 hours. I even tried cutting it like you did. Would not move an inch. I saved a lot of time and effort by replacing the steering box and install a new arm. Was done in about an hour! Drives a whole lot better now. Glad you where able to get it off. Good work out...lol skip the gym day

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is a lot of work just to get that arm off. I beat on mine for 4 hours. I even tried cutting it like you did. Would not move an inch. I saved a lot of time and effort by replacing the steering box and install a new arm. Was done in about an hour! Drives a whole lot better now. Glad you where able to get it off. Good work out...lol skip the gym day
I do love working on vehicles where salt is not used and parts like pitman arms, come right off.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah seems like replcement was the only viable option for you, and yes I'm quote stiff this morning! Lol

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm replacing the pitman and idler arms today. However when taking the lower steering shaft off the gear box the intermediate shaft slid out a bit. It's still connected to the steering wheel. I've tried for an hour to line it up and push it all the way back in but it's not going anywhere, it feels like it's as far back as itll go and wont go any further. Any suggestions?

View attachment 391862
Also got this fixed too, removed the steering shafts out and hammered on it. It went right back in and slides back and forth as it should!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I started turning wrenches, gobs of years ago, in KC, Mo. where they use salt on the roads. I fought the rust for years. Then I moved to Oregon, where they use no salt around here. It flashed on me one day how much easier and nice to work on vehicles was because of no rust. Rust is something I do not worry about here. I feel sorry for ANYONE that turns a wrench with the "salt on roads" vehicles.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started turning wrenches, gobs of years ago, in KC, Mo. where they use salt on the roads. I fought the rust for years. Then I moved to Oregon, where they use no salt around here. It flashed on me one day how much easier and nice to work on vehicles was because of no rust. Rust is something I do not worry about here. I feel sorry for ANYONE that turns a wrench with the "salt on roads" vehicles.

This is true. Unfortunately, here in Germany we use a lot of salt and that is not good for the vehicles.

But if you regularly clean the underbody with a high-pressure cleaner, there are super nozzles that can be adjusted by 90 degrees, and treat the underbody accordingly, that's no problem.

For this I use Fluid Film and Permafilm, which are products from Germany that are normally used to preserve the ballast tanks of seawater ships.

This is great and keeps the rust at bay.

The famous German ready driver Walter Röhrl once said:
"You can't treat cars like humans, cars need love..."
:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf