loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the Idler Arm is deemed "bad", is it just the arm on the end that is bad? What are the odds of the rest of the assembly needing replacement? Will just the arm do the trick or should I do the whole thing?

Just the arm might be cheaper, but bolting in a new assembly with the arm on it seems like it might be an easier and faster process.

Advice from you is appreciated.

I will need to do Pitman arm, Idler and upper control arms.
Probably in spring.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a debate in my head right now, ordering parts today for the idler and pitman arms, but I already know the ones on there are seized on pretty good. I have a pickle fork to get them off. However I'm having a stupid debate in my head, should I get them unseized first before the parts come, then slide em back in for the next few days, or should I just wait and do it all at once? lmao

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do it when the parts get there if you need to drive it but if ok not to drive it, start the teardown, unless you are worried about taking it apart and forgetting how it goes back together.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it when the parts get there if you need to drive it but if ok not to drive it, start the teardown, unless you are worried about taking it apart and forgetting how it goes back together.
I'll remember how it goes together, but I definitely need it for the rest of the week, need to tow my dads motorcycle to the harley dealer for work.

I'm just worried those studs are going to give me a hard time, so part of me feels like it'll be easier to get them out now. But if they're rusty enough who knows if they'll even go back into the hole.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Spray some penetrant and let them soak in it for a couple days. Spray more than once. You must live in a salt on the roads state.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Where those studs go thru the center link, give them a good smack at the center link but not as hard or as big a hammer on the pitman arm stud area because you are jarring the pitman arm all the way back to the output shaft of the steering gear box. Spray penetrant liberally all over that area and when you know you are gonna change them, back the attaching nuts off and spray right down the shaft and let soak for about 30-40 minutes and then spray again and start to separate it all.

DadsToy

Reaction score
I would like to know if you get the pitman arm off the steering box. I couldn't get mine off. Tried everything. Ended up getting a new steering box and installed a new pitman arm. Totally rebuilt the whole front end. Good luck. With all that rust. I would go ahead and replace the center link, tie rods too.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm replacing the pitman and idler arms today. However when taking the lower steering shaft off the gear box the intermediate shaft slid out a bit. It's still connected to the steering wheel. I've tried for an hour to line it up and push it all the way back in but it's not going anywhere, it feels like it's as far back as itll go and wont go any further. Any suggestions?

20230212_122255.jpg

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also inspect the wheel bearings.

The tires are also important and should not have any vertical or lateral runout and what is even more important:

Is the toe, camber and caster correct? The axle and tires can be as good as new. If toe, camber and caster are incorrect, the vehicle may steer in all directions and feel like a loose steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts