Long term owners of BlackBear Autocal tunes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tune came in last Thursday. Very little adjustment needed, which is great. Justin, as always, did his homework and gave it his full attention. That attention is worth the wait for the retune, and keep in mind he got me the tune I needed for the initial start after the first cam swap in less than a week, so that’s great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s great news and also might explain why you were put on the back burner, I didn’t realize he had already done a tune so recently for you. Glad things are dialed in perfectly now. :)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s great news and also might explain why you were put on the back burner, I didn’t realize he had already done a tune so recently for you. Glad things are dialed in perfectly now. :)
Yes, I think so, and it's also why I didn't keep pestering them. I had the first tune done after the first cam swap in December. And when that cam failed, I installed a different cam with a different profile, and just needed an update tune. I didn't expect it would take 2 months, but it's okay - I'm still happy with Black Bear's work.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update on my issues, after a couple other failed attempts I had them to remotely take over my computer, took them several tries and about 45 minutes but was finally able to get it to load in my laptop. I was then able to get the data logged and sent off the file right before full blown winter hit here, which is about 6 months long.
I dreaded putting the new tune in because of all the issues associated with downloading the program previously but the first warm day I gave it a shot. I had to download the EFI Live once again since it seems to get updated weekly and the previous download is not compatible again, but once that was done the files downloaded into the handheld and then uploaded into the Tahoe.
I've only driven it 3-4 times since because winter hasn't fully left us yet but there's a noticable difference in the shifting patterns, holds in gear longer and shifts firmer, which takes care of the lackluster mushy to quick factory upshift points. Definitely has a different exhaust note when warming up the car and feels peppier, I live in the city so no wide open throttle checks as of yet but feels good in the seat of the pants regular driving so far.
Hopefully we can get a few more rainy days to wash the salt off the roads followed up by some sunny days to warm things up as well to get some total driving experience with it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update on my issues, after a couple other failed attempts I had them to remotely take over my computer, took them several tries and about 45 minutes but was finally able to get it to load in my laptop. I was then able to get the data logged and sent off the file right before full blown winter hit here, which is about 6 months long.
I dreaded putting the new tune in because of all the issues associated with downloading the program previously but the first warm day I gave it a shot. I had to download the EFI Live once again since it seems to get updated weekly and the previous download is not compatible again, but once that was done the files downloaded into the handheld and then uploaded into the Tahoe.
I've only driven it 3-4 times since because winter hasn't fully left us yet but there's a noticable difference in the shifting patterns, holds in gear longer and shifts firmer, which takes care of the lackluster mushy to quick factory upshift points. Definitely has a different exhaust note when warming up the car and feels peppier, I live in the city so no wide open throttle checks as of yet but feels good in the seat of the pants regular driving so far.
Hopefully we can get a few more rainy days to wash the salt off the roads followed up by some sunny days to warm things up as well to get some total driving experience with it.

The more miles you put on it, the better the tune will get after a little time.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tune came in last Thursday. Very little adjustment needed, which is great. Justin, as always, did his homework and gave it his full attention. That attention is worth the wait for the retune, and keep in mind he got me the tune I needed for the initial start after the first cam swap in less than a week, so that’s great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Dave, that is great to hear!

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! Burn the fuel you want the motor tuned to.

For future reference, is there a noticeable difference between an 87 vs. 93 octane tune?

I work from home, don't commute any more, and used to have turbo cars that all required 93, so I don't care about paying a little bit extra for 93 octane at every fill-up.

Thanks.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am interested to know if tuning on the 88 octane E15 will be similar to 89 octane E10. I like to run on E85 too but it’s not available everywhere in the state so I don’t always have it in the tank.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference, is there a noticeable difference between an 87 vs. 93 octane tune?

I work from home, don't commute any more, and used to have turbo cars that all required 93, so I don't care about paying a little bit extra for 93 octane at every fill-up.

Thanks.

Absolutely! I had Justin tune mine for 91/93 and when burning ethanol she's on the stock tables.

George, I don't know what the power difference might be between them but do know that mine gets its best gas mileage with an alcohol content between 16% and 22% or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63