Lights dimming, voltage sinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itschuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone new guy here. First time owning a GMC/Chevy, normally I buy Fords..

I have a 2011 GMC Yukon XL 1500 6.2L Denali

I've noticed the voltage goes down a lot when I'm at a light or if the music/bass is going. Lights dim, dash lights dim, etc. So far I have replaced the battery, replaced the alternator with a higher output (260a), I've replaced the positive wire from the alternator to the battery with a 1/0 copper wire properly crimped, I've verified the main ground does go through the hoop sensor thing, i've tried unplugging that sensor as well and no improvement.

My next step is to add a second battery, but I am wondering if there's anything else I can try or something I am missing? Truck runs great otherwise without any issues at all.

Thanks for the help

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it change if your foot is off the brake? Just wondering if it's trying to activate the ABS pump for some reason. Have you tried pulling the fuses(s) for the radio or amp?

OP
OP
I

itschuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lights still dim when foot is off the pedal as well as while in park. If I have the ac full blast or if i have music playing I can literally watch the volt meter go down from 14+ to maybe 12 or less. I'm going to put a second battery in tomorrow and see what happens. Its not even a large amp, 1200 watts or so I think. Pulled this same system out of my old truck and it didn't dim lights at all in that (ford f350).

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone new guy here. First time owning a GMC/Chevy, normally I buy Fords..

I've noticed the voltage goes down a lot when I'm at a light or if the music/bass is going. Lights dim, dash lights dim, etc. So far I have replaced the battery, replaced the alternator with a higher output (260a), I've replaced the positive wire from the alternator to the battery with a 1/0 copper wire properly crimped, I've verified the main ground does go through the hoop sensor thing, i've tried unplugging that sensor as well and no improvement.

My next step is to add a second battery, but I am wondering if there's anything else I can try or something I am missing? Truck runs great otherwise without any issues at all.

Thanks for the help

Did you upgrade the ground to the same size? A circuit it only as strong as its weakest link. You could use a 1,000A alternator and 4/0 for the charge cable and you'd still only be able to support what that factory 4 gauge ground will carry. I have 1/0 for my charging system- it'll fit through the RVC sensor with room to spare. Also, I have a ~1,000 watt Alpine that, according to dyno videos, should do 1,200-1,300 watts. A new battery (previous one was old and abused) greatly reduced my dimming lights and a 220A alternator showed further improvement. Now, the dimming is barely noticeable when I have the stereo cranked. A/C stays on max at all times here in Louisiana.

Having said all that, I think you have something wrong. I'd first upgrade the ground and verify all the terminations are clean so you can actually make full use of that new battery and 260A alternator.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the help
You mention the radio, is it stock or customized?

With a stock truck none of these modifications are necessary. Alternator output does decrease when the battery has been charged to the satisfaction of the computer system. Look up the terms RVC for Regulated Voltage Control and EPM for Electronic Power Management with reference to GMC trucks.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lights still dim when foot is off the pedal as well as while in park. If I have the ac full blast or if i have music playing I can literally watch the volt meter go down from 14+ to maybe 12 or less. I'm going to put a second battery in tomorrow and see what happens. Its not even a large amp, 1200 watts or so I think. Pulled this same system out of my old truck and it didn't dim lights at all in that (ford f350).
Keep in mind that a F350 probably has a higher output alternator due to the fact its built for work. Also, depending on if it was a diesel, you probably had more battery power available.

A second battery is easy to install. I put one in my 2008 yukon and it's nice to have. Just do what @iamdub stated about cable size. Think of cables like hoses......flow is based off size. Electricity is no different.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In agreement with the above cable size recommendations for grounds. Also, as @iamdub suggested, I also believe that you have some underlying issue, and not the alternator capacity, that is causing the dimming.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
corrosion in the factory battery cables? Have heard that mentioned in a few threads here...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have an amp clamp to clip on the alt lead?

what kinda alternator did you install? I have a feeling it's not pulleyed or not putting out what you need at idle. you probably need at least 120amps at idle.. it might be time for the alternator upgrade iamdub did. newer style 6 pole.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I suggest something you'll likely ignore?
1. Have your ecm tuned (preferably, your ecm AND your tcm, in person / on site)
1a. Among the many other things that should normally be addressed by a tune to suit your particulars, have your four idle RpMs - Park/Neutral, & In Gear, with AC On, and with AC Off - raised by at least 100 RpM.

The extra RpMs at idle would likely have been enough to make even an OE alternator put out just enough extra juice.

Instead of merely ignoring it, you also misconstrued it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts