Led interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just soldered white LEDs in my cluster. They made my cluster look blue. Did my auto hvac control also an it looks white like I wanted. Why does my cluster look blue. Because of the overlay or what?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I just soldered white LEDs in my cluster. They made my cluster look blue. Did my auto hvac control also an it looks white like I wanted. Why does my cluster look blue. Because of the overlay or what?

Yes. The "clear" lens has a tint. I think there's at least one person who's taken it off, but I think it's ill-advised. @ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year? If it's a 03-06, the bluish tint can be removed if you CAREFULLY shave the back of the gauge cluster overlay with a very sharp razor blade. I have done about 4-5 clusters like that and they came out great. I also damaged one overlay in the process. So I can not stress enough that you have to be careful when shaving it.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
What year? If it's a 03-06, the bluish tint can be removed if you CAREFULLY shave the back of the gauge cluster overlay with a very sharp razor blade. I have done about 4-5 clusters like that and they came out great. I also damaged one overlay in the process. So I can not stress enough that you have to be careful when shaving it.

Oh, it's the back of the overlay.... Duh. What do you mean 'damaged' was it rendered useless?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, it's the back of the overlay.... Duh. What do you mean 'damaged' was it rendered useless?
I scraped too much/cut too deep. It wasn't COMPLETELY useless, a few lines on the tach were missing and there was basically a white "hole" in that spot. It was definitely a very obvious visual flaw, but not totally unusable. But being that this was for a customer, I had to replace the overlay. At least it was a stock 1500 overlay, so I quickly (and thankfully CHEAPLY) grabbed one at my local U-PULL-IT yard to replace it with. That was only the second one I ever did, so I quickly learned my lesson. I haven't damaged one since. Well, not enough damage that it was visible from the front of the cluster anyway. Lol
I started charging an extra $25 for that service of removing the blue layer/film from the gauge overlay, which is actually a bargain considering it's several hours of tedious scraping/shaving involved, and I go through about two or three blades. I actually started using an EXacto knife with the blades with the slightly curved tips, they don't catch or snag like a flat razor blade does.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gently remove the blue tint from the back of the overlay with a dish scrub pad (I used one of the green ones). Use plenty of water while you're scrubbing it. Worked great and didn't remove anything else or leave any scratches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick