Latest oil change/ oil filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got started on it earlier this week. I now have the passenger side head off. As luck would have it, all the exhaust manifold bolts came out nicely from the cracked head. 2 bolts are broken below the surface of the good head. I will try a left handed drill bit and see if it comes out.

It's taken me two evenings and an afternoon to get this far. Part of the time was
used to meticulously baggie 16 rods and rockers. I am also noting down every thenm & take off along with the socket used. I don't want to forget anything. I'll have enough to worry about installing everything correctly.

The shop manual uses torque angle specifications forthe head bolts. In some case a torque angle guage doesn't fit, such as for the rears. I did note that my 1/2" ratchet has 16 clicks for 90°. I think this may be just as accurate and easier.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just love it. For the DS head, step one is remove alternator bracket. That sounds easy enough. Oh wait, now I have to remove the pulley just to get to the last bolt. Why do they do this to me?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just love it. For the DS head, step one is remove alternator bracket. That sounds easy enough. Oh wait, now I have to remove the pulley just to get to the last bolt. Why do they do this to me?

No holes in the pulley to stick a socket through?

Can you get an open-end (or better yet, a box-end) wrench on it from the side?

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No holes for a socket. I might try the open ended wrench. That is going to be a pain because I'll have to balance the bracket as it comes out. Might be easier than removing the pulley.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I was being dumb. The bolt that must be removed is just below the pulley. It's off to the side now.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say, I don't remember that bracket being hard.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DS head is now out. I'll remove the lifters tomorrow and send the heads in. The head that is cracked is scrap for sure.

I did discovered one dumb trick. I'm not a big strong guy, so lifting heavy objects isn't so easy for me. If you remove the upper and lower rad shroud, and the fan/clutch, you can stand inside the engine bay. This is not hard to do. The last firewall bolt isn't bad either. Pull it out a little before lifting the head, then remove the head with the bolt together. I'm not sure what installing will be like. Because these bolts are stretch bolts I may be able to insert all bolts with the head in place. There is a demo somewhere about how much these bolts actually stretch. It's quite amazing, and after seeing the stretch I would never reuse a torque to yield bolt.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just left my heads at the machine shop.

The machinist showed me how to dismantle a lifter. When he couldn't get the plunger out, he told me I might as well get new lifters. We also concluded that the bearings in the rockers were going. It appears that the previous owner neglected oil changes. He did say that as long as the rollers move smoothly, the cam is almost certainly okay.

I have two broken exhaust bolts. I decided to let them take them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645